I Forge Iron

Just picked up a Hay Budden

Just picked up this 91lb Hay Budden, was looking for something a little heavier but will serve my beginner purposes fine.  Paid slightly more than I wanted to but prices seemed to be crazy where I am, seller originally wanted $6 a lb but got it for $4.  Still deciding on forge and will be posting some stuff in shop design forum within the coming days, for some advice still need to do a little more forum searching.

IMG_2551.JPG

Nice looking little anvil. Someone was obviously a John Deere fan.

If you put your location in your profile settings, "prices seemed to be crazy where I am" will make more sense to the rest of us. 

Yeah, that's not just green. That's GREEN

And hey, if you're in Tom's River, you should take a drive up the Garden State to the Fisher & Norris Museum in Farmingdale. @njanvilman has an incredible collection that is well worth seeing.

I won't say very cheap; but it's a decent price for an excellent anvil, especially in your area!  You definitely didn't go wrong!

I used to live in Holmdel NJ, exits 114-117 on the GSP, and our scout troop used to camp in the Pine Barrens a lot! (Tom Brown and his brother Jim were our scout leaders way before he opened his Tracker School)  I bought a number of tools at the Englishtown Auction Flea market but that was 40 years ago now...

4 hours ago, JHCC said:

Now, go mount that thing on a heavy, stable stand and get to poundin'!

Have been on the look out for a suitable stump driving around hope to find one soon.

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I won't say very cheap; but it's a decent price for an excellent anvil, especially in your area!  You definitely didn't go wrong!

I used to live in Holmdel NJ, exits 114-117 on the GSP, and our scout troop used to camp in the Pine Barrens a lot! (Tom Brown and his brother Jim were our scout leaders way before he opened his Tracker School)  I bought a number of tools at the Englishtown Auction Flea market but that was 40 years ago now...

that is really cool, i have some of his books.

6 hours ago, CHUCK M said:

I have seen this museum referenced in other threads, used to live in the next town over and drive through farmingdale often on my way home from work, will have to take a peak.

Check out my page on FB too.  Contact me here, FB, or at njanvilman@gmail.com to make an appt for a visit.  I am just off Rt 9 in Howell.

56 minutes ago, CHUCK M said:

Sounds like I made out really well!!! It is in great condition I will try to get some better pics outside in some better light.

I think ya done good. Please do not take to sanding/grinding on the face of the anvil. All it needs is hot metal worked on it to shine.

3 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

I think ya done good. Please do not take to sanding/grinding on the face of the anvil. All it needs is hot metal worked on it to shine.

I wouldn't dare

On 7/14/2017 at 11:36 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Amen to that! Good score.

On 7/14/2017 at 11:36 AM, ThomasPowers said:

I bought a number of tools at the Englishtown Auction Flea market but that was 40 years ago now...

Me too;) Place was one of my old haunts. Seemed to always have good stuff there back in the day. As we know all flea markets are good sources for tools but that place was without a doubt the best by far. Anything you wanted could be found there.

I'd recommend to the OP to go hang around Marshall's Farm on Mondays and get involved with the NJBA. They're a real good bunch of guys.

George

Here are some better pics of the anvil and the serial number!

Will be starting a thread in the shop design forum soon, with the idea of hopefully turning my shed into a nice workable space.  If anyone wants to follow along and give criticism/advice, keep and eye out.

IMG_2565.JPG

IMG_2566.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

IMG_2568.JPG

IMG_2569.JPG

IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_2571.JPG