I Forge Iron

Question about Powder Metallurgy

Socratic; I like that, my wife says I'm just too  %^&($@*$% picky!  I acknowledge that I have a problem in often seeing *many* aspects of questions folks thought were fully qualified. (I've had many a go round with teachers and Professors over test questions when I was in school. I've also recently pointed out to a Dr's office that their notification of a change in giving notice that you will miss an appointment was  backwards---they had been giving it out for two months before I pointed out that they wanted people to notify them at least a day ahead of time rather than what they said "within a day of the appointment.").   I also dislike answers that only address *one*  aspect of a question; even if it's the most common one.

As for powdered metallurgy; the steel made by major companies in the field can be quite good for tools; *IFF* you use the alloys suitable for the tools you are making. (That's why the industrial companies are making it after all!)  

As previously said making your own cannister stuff will probably not be as good for tools as using a commercially made steel.

It's Friday; everyone take a long deep breath and exhale slowly and get back to talking *steel*!  (and if someone annoys you too much; there is an ignore function on this site and you never have to see their posts again!)

3 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Socratic; I like that, my wife says I'm just too  %^&($@*$% picky!  I acknowledge that I have a problem in often seeing *many* aspects of questions folks thought were fully qualified. (I've had many a go round with teachers and Professors over test questions when I was in school. I've also recently pointed out to a Dr's office that their notification of a change in giving notice that you will miss an appointment was  backwards---they had been giving it out for two months before I pointed out that they wanted people to notify them at least a day ahead of time rather than what they said "within a day of the appointment.").   I also dislike answers that only address *one*  aspect of a question; even if it's the most common one.

As for powdered metallurgy; the steel made by major companies in the field can be quite good for tools; *IFF* you use the alloys suitable for the tools you are making. (That's why the industrial companies are making it after all!)  

As previously said making your own cannister stuff will probably not be as good for tools as using a commercially made steel.

It's Friday; everyone take a long deep breath and exhale slowly and get back to talking *steel*!  (and if someone annoys you too much; there is an ignore function on this site and you never have to see their posts again!)

Well, this made me smile. It is Friday after all. I posed the question properly in a new thread, with a little more humility. You are the second person to say that forging powder steel in a canister is tough to do. I may take both of our advice and just stick to learning about steel, and using commercially made stock. And yeah, the ignore button. Yet another thing I didn't think of. This in itself has been a pretty valuable learning experience. Thanks for being a part of it. 

58 minutes ago, Meridianfrost said:

I'm mostly pounding away at mild steel, and just hardened my first knife yesterday afternoon. I'm a novice.

In that case, you definitely don't want to be messing with powdered steels, canister damascus, etc. This isn't a reflection on you personally; it's an objective assessment of your skill level. One of the worst things about being a novice (and I'm speaking from personal experience here) is that you don't even know what you don't know. In fact, the more I learn, the more I learn how little I know (<<more Socrates).

18 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

get back to talking *steel*!

If you're serious about getting into knifemaking, @Meridianfrost, I've got two suggestions. First, invest in some proper knifemaking stock in a known alloy like 1084. The knifemakers here can give you recommendations for what's a good beginner's steel. Second (if you're looking for a low-cost option), make friends with a mechanic and get some coil springs (preferably unused, perhaps switched out from a lift kit job). Cut them into 6"-8" lengths and practice on those; you'll also be able to practice heat treatment and grinding, and you'll end up with an actual knife rather than a mild steel mockup. Just be aware that how one spring responds to heat treatment may not be the same as another from a different manufacturer.

Either way, once you've got some good knifemaking experience under your belt, you'll be in a much better position to move on to canister damascus and patternwelding. In the mean time, keep posting and make sure to show us pictures of your progress!

15 minutes ago, JHCC said:

In that case, you definitely don't want to be messing with powdered steels, canister damascus, etc. This isn't a reflection on you personally; it's an objective assessment of your skill level. One of the worst things about being a novice (and I'm speaking from personal experience here) is that you don't even know what you don't know. In fact, the more I learn, the more I learn how little I know (<<more Socrates).

If you're serious about getting into knifemaking, @Meridianfrost, I've got two suggestions. First, invest in some proper knifemaking stock in a known alloy like 1084. The knifemakers here can give you recommendations for what's a good beginner's steel. Second (if you're looking for a low-cost option), make friends with a mechanic and get some coil springs (preferably unused, perhaps switched out from a lift kit job). Cut them into 6"-8" lengths and practice on those; you'll also be able to practice heat treatment and grinding, and you'll end up with an actual knife rather than a mild steel mockup. Just be aware that how one spring responds to heat treatment may not be the same as another from a different manufacturer.

Either way, once you've got some good knifemaking experience under your belt, you'll be in a much better position to move on to canister damascus and patternwelding. In the mean time, keep posting and make sure to show us pictures of your progress!

Those are great suggestions. Thank you. I glued up my scales on the knife with gflex yesterday, and when I get off of work today, I'm going to finish it off. I made this one out of a 1.5" ball bearing. 

IMG_2657.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG