I Forge Iron

I'm having trouble with a torch.

Hello, recently I have found an old blow torch in my dead grandfathers workshop. Its a turbo torch air/propane and Map pro brazing and soldering torch, hooked up to a propane tank. If it matters the tank size is larger than a hand held one but smaller than a 20LB, [very strange size]. But anyway it's a Manuel start but I'm having trouble starting it. I turn the gas valve a little bit and I strike it and it lights a huge fire ball all around the torch, burning my hand. Then it goes out. So I tried  barely turning it at all and it lit and stayed at a very low flame. So I tried to slowly open more gas into it and it popped another fire ball and went out. I don't have any expirence with this specific torch but if anyone knows how to solve this, let me know please.

IMG_0032.JPG

i dont have much experience with this particular type of torch but it seems like you may need to turn the gas pressure up a bit.  is there a regulator on the tank?  the pop you are hearing is the flame accually sucking back into the torch body a little bit.  it is called a flash back.  for this reason a good torch system will have flame arrestors or check valves on them to prevent this flame from going too far back into the hose.  as you can imagine that could be bad.  also if there is a regulator and it is turned up, check for the check valves and ensure that they are not stuck.  as you mentioned it probably has been sitting for a min so the line may have a restriction somewhere whether it is the nozzle itself having a bit of corrosion or a stuck check valve.  turbo torches rely on a clean jet for the fuel to come out of at high velocity to draw in the air mixture it needs from the holes at the base of that torch head just above the handle.

i dont fly them but i do work on them.  i do all the repairs on the carbon fiber, hydraulic systems, flight control sysetms, landing gear, and the metal work for it.  i am actually out in the Mediterranean sea right now lol.