I Forge Iron

Latest hardware at the forge. Part table fodder, part custom order.

Skill set and hand eye slowly coming back.. Still some mistakes here and there, but it's nice to see progress being made..  "Works in progress".. 

So, I need some items for the table at demo's and such.  And had an order come in for the hinges and the set of back group with escutcheon plates shown with the thumb latches.. 

I was asked to come to another demo.. Still now sure which ones I want to do.. But had 2 sets of hinges at the last show and now they both will be gone to their homes so have to start making replacement pieces.. 

20170628_194409.jpg

20170706_175452.jpg

20170701_140322.jpg

20170701_140348.jpg

20170707_155542.jpg

20170709_175344.jpg

20170709_175636.jpg

20170709_175758.jpg

2 hours ago, Lou L said:

That's beautiful work.  Being selfish, I sure would appreciate a video on how you make that handle hardware.  It has excellent symmetry.  Do you use jigs or hammer it all by eye?

Thanks, for custom pieces like these they are all done by hammer and eye on the first cusp.. Then done by eye on the second cusp till about 98%.. The last 2% is done to a sketch of the first cusp laid out on the anvil.. 

I might put out a video on the process at some point but the filming is problematic.. Anytime I have to add in vise work it really just changes the whole filming and editing.. 

I did film footage of making a bar and while it takes about 10minutes to make a bar, It took 30minutes to film a how to on it. 

I've reached a point where I should probably make a script.. I've simply been filming as I work which is what I like to do, but on stuff like this where there is a lot of fitting, punching things I normally take at full speed have to be slowed down and exaggerated so others can see what is going on.. 

I'll keep this in mind and might visit... 

10 minutes ago, JHCC said:

It's not one of Jennifer's videos, alas, but Mark Aspery has a video on forging a Suffolk latch.

Mark does excellent work and I watched that video a while ago.. It's a well executed basic on how to do it on a smaller latch.. It appears from nearly all the stuff I've seen in AR and other youtube videos he has released, he scripts, outlines and then executes the filming..  Really a nicely put together basic tutorial.. 

Not sure if I mentioned this before.. The main reason I started to make any of the video "How to's" is because I found the information out there was lacking (missing) or incomplete.. 

So this is how I determine what I film.. Problem now is a lack of time..   In the next few months I not only have my normal full time Farrier business, but also added a few extra demos, and I have a front axle to replace in a truck, The axles in the trailer should be replaced and the front axle in the tractor snapped of, and I have car work to do.. 

My schedule is just jam packed.  I edited a "How to" on making a bar and will process that video first.. Maybe a backwards way to do it.

8 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Thanks.

Do you mean personally, or for measurements/comparison with a hand?

The anvil is 5.5" wide. Not sure if that  helps.

I meant that I wish that I could hold the pieces personally for a more complete appreciation of your work. Thanks for the anvil dimension, I was guessing close to that.

1 hour ago, bluesman7 said:

I meant that I wish that I could hold the pieces personally for a more complete appreciation of your work. Thanks for the anvil dimension, I was guessing close to that.

Sorry, Your a little far away to come out for a demo day..  I will be doing 3 more demos so far and there might be a 4th.. Depends if I can get in better shape by september.. 

4 hours ago, Lou L said:

I, for one, would love to know where you are doing your demos.  I'm in CT and might be able to make it to one.

Well, as it stands right now. I'll be having the trailer setup at the Bolton Fair (http://www.boltonfair.org/) in Bolton MA,  it's on the Lancaster/Bolton line..  The fair is 3 days (Aug 11, 12, 13) and I won't be the only smith there.. They have their own blacksmithing and Farrier shop and will both be doing demo's..  

I was asked to go.. It was a little strange as they all ready have the shop with both blacksmiths and Farriers demoing.. Anyhow, I was shocked to be asked and wasn't sure about going just from a time frame stand point, and then to get a phone call asking to come.. Said said "Yes, I'll be there".. 

Then the Hardwick fair (   http://www.hardwickfair.com/ )   Aug 18. 19,  which is one of the oldest traditionally oriented Fairs in New England.. Its Friday afternoon till Saturday at 3pm.

And currently the last one though this might change will be in Rutland, MA at the Historical trades day.. https://rutlandmahistoricalsociety.org/

The Rutland Peeps don't have anything listed yet so no info as to date.. They will update me as to day in August.. 

The " Fitchburg forge In" (http://site.achla.com/Forge-In/frameset.html)   is the one which I am unsure about.. It's a little later in September but have to confess I'm not much of a competitor with anybody but myself.. 

If I don't see you at the events coming up.. I'll see you at the Fall NEB meet..

47 minutes ago, arkie said:

Jennifer, beautiful work on the hinges, latches, handles...

Question: kinda hard to tell from the photos, but did you peen the upper tip of the hinge pin on the hinges to keep them from sliding off?

Thanks.  No on riveting of the hinge to the pintle pins.  Traditionally they were designed to slide off the pintles if the door is open..

The pintles are welded into the bottom boss so will never fail from the bottom.. and when closed the jamb encapsulates the door so it won't ever come off that way..

These hinges were made for interior doors which is different but that is what the customer wanted so everything had to be scaled to look proper in the location.. I'll post pictures of the hardware once it's installed..

9 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Thanks.  No on riveting of the hinge to the pintle pins.  Traditionally they were designed to slide off the pintles if the door is open..

The pintles are welded into the bottom boss so will never fail from the bottom.. and when closed the jamb encapsulates the door so it won't ever come off that way..

These hinges were made for interior doors which is different but that is what the customer wanted so everything had to be scaled to look proper in the location.. I'll post pictures of the hardware once it's installed..

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

Beautiful Jennifer (Yes you too :wub:)

In my part of the world all doors and windows are designed like that so they can be lifted off when open. Some peple used to take out the inner leaf of double doors and windows in the summer but this seems to be history today.

3 hours ago, gote said:

Beautiful Jennifer (Yes you too :wub:)

In my part of the world all doors and windows are designed like that so they can be lifted off when open. Some peple used to take out the inner leaf of double doors and windows in the summer but this seems to be history today.

Awh, shucks.. :)  Thank you.. 

I love hearing what goes on in other parts of the world.. Thanks for sharing the info.. 

Here also is the window shutter or lack of,.. because no one really knows what window shutters were used for or how they were used..  Today nobody installs a working shutter.. They will spend big money on fake shutters which are screwed to the wall and completely useless.. 

Maybe, it's because of AC units or just they became unfashionable..  Window shutters actually work great at keeping a house cool and allowing air flow through the house.. And during the winter a good shutter can help to keep a house warmer by diverting the wind away from the glass so were closed on the north side during the winter..

Also way back in the day when someone passed away all the shutters would be closed..   

Here an outer Real door with inner door pretty much doesn't exist either..  I was fortunate enough to work on a colonial home that had it's 2 real doors still in the Barn so I got to make the hardware before they were re installed.. 

20141016_191802.jpg

20141016_191648.jpg

In southern Florida, my mothers home which my father built in 1947 had those style shutters for hurricane protection. We could close up her house in less than ten min. while all the neighbors had to take all day nailing up plywood (if they could find any). I'm making some for our shop out of tongue & groove pine.