I Forge Iron

JABOD esc forge

So I basically designed this off of a JABOD forge but used a high heat fireclay as the base foot the mix.  It ended up being mostly a mix of 2:1:1 fireclay to sand to perlite.  I used Portland cement and more sand for the layer past the 'fire pot' because I needed more volume.  Also reinforced the edges or crumbling bits with store bought Hercules heavy body sodium silicate which works like a charm for those curious.  I used lump charcoal and it got decently hot but threw Sparks like a xxxx.  Currently working on an insulating and spark trapping dome.

Link to pics on drive because chrome doesn't like me today: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B69b0Z0wuf7xSkZfMGNWSENYZ3M

IMG_20170704_144404539_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170704_152755960_HDR.jpg

Edited by Mod34
Edited for inappropriate language

Basically, Either add a gate valve or just point the hair drier at the air supply tube. Charcoal needs very little air supply. There should be plenty of info on the site about this very thing.....        enjoy the ride                    Dave

• 4 weeks later...