I Forge Iron

Step Pulleys

As part of my No weld grinder build i need some step pulleys.

I am shocked at the prices of them. The 3 step pulley called for in the plans range

from $20.00 all the way up to almost $80.00!

I want to ask the forum what do you guys use? Has any one found a inexpensive source?

Thanks for any help!

Mel

Be aware that pulleys vary a lot in quality.  That cheap zinc casting is going to be nowhere near the roundness and quality of a machined version of the same.  Pulleys are not the place to skimp.  You don't want a cheap pulley introducing vibrations into the system.

If it's really an issue, do wander the surplus markets and junk stores which might have old equipment. You will be trading your time for a few bucks in savings. It's a crap shoot but just about every industrialized area has a good "surplus" junkyard somewhere.   If quality doesn't show up, don't be shy about plonking some $ on the real thing.  It won't be a waste.  You might also keep an eye out for an older model used (junker) drill press as those tend to have reasonable pulleys.  Re-boring is not that big a deal.

Flea markets and antique stores usually have them used very cheap. When I built my grinder - I'm pretty sure I bought my keyed shaft and two 4 step pulleys really cheap on a special offer from Zoro with free shipping. I don't know what they charge currently....

FWIW, I built that grinder as well.  After looking at what I spent on the shaft, pillow block bearings, a couple 4 step pulleys, a 110v single phase 1 hp motor, and a belt, I could have been most of the way to a cheap VFD and a 3 phase 2 hp motor using a direct drive variable speed configuration.  Ultimately that's what I went to anyway.  For me the 1 hp motor was underpowered in the fastest belt speed pulley arrangement.

One issue I had with the step pulley set up was the tendency of the drive shaft to start to come loose in the pillow block bearings which resulted in the pulleys ending up out of alignment.  It was several months before this occurred, but once it started it became more frequent.  Because those pillow block bearings are so close to each other you really have to make sure everything is lined up well and tight.  Just my 2 cents.

5 hours ago, Buzzkill said:

FWIW, I built that grinder as well.  After looking at what I spent on the shaft, pillow block bearings, a couple 4 step pulleys, a 110v single phase 1 hp motor, and a belt, I could have been most of the way to a cheap VFD and a 3 phase 2 hp motor using a direct drive variable speed configuration.  Ultimately that's what I went to anyway.  For me the 1 hp motor was underpowered in the fastest belt speed pulley arrangement.

One issue I had with the step pulley set up was the tendency of the drive shaft to start to come loose in the pillow block bearings which resulted in the pulleys ending up out of alignment.  It was several months before this occurred, but once it started it became more frequent.  Because those pillow block bearings are so close to each other you really have to make sure everything is lined up well and tight.  Just my 2 cents.

I think the pillow blocks might be to close together as well. I have a bunch of 2" angle iron so I can move them if I need.

I was given a 1HP motor brand new in the box from sears craftsman. He said his dad had bought it in the 60s and never used it.

It is a open frame so I am planing to put it in a fan cooled filter box.

Thanks!
Mel