I Forge Iron

Oliver Upwind burner

blacksmith-450

• 2 weeks later...

Whether you are the cleverest burner builder or just the luckiest, I know not; nor do I care. it is plain that you can build a burner with an excellent flame with less work than mine, and I hope you will either build them commercially or show others what you know.

The built is very simple, in fact I followed the original plans found on the web... or almost ...

• 1 inch OD X 7 inches long
  • 1.25 ID X 2 inches long
  • 1/8 nipple X 2 inches long
  • 3/8 hole at 1/2 inch of the top
  • 3/8 hole at 1.25 and 2.75 inch, open to make a slot
  • No. 60 drill bit to the jet. TIG Weld when to is fitted in place with a neutral flame
  • I weld the end of the 1/8 nipple instead of using a cap
  • The fitting is a NPT to 1/4 Tube to connect it to the gaz line

For the commercial sale, I do not believe it  ! I offered them on a Facebook page of local blacksmiths at $65 Cnd delivery included and I often got answered that they were able to do better at cheaper prices.

I wish them good luck !...

Pay a couple of bucks to offer them on eBay. Make sure to show the burners running, and don't forget to challenge the competition to show their flames. Blacksmiths are just as capable of being airheads as any other group of people. If you like, I will endorse them. Your prices are more than reasonable for a burner that produces that flame.

BLacksmith 450 states "I made a small production of burners and like our children, there are not 2 of them identical. It would take a lot of file work to fine-tune them all similar to one another, but I do not think that the result is worth the work?"

For all practical purposes, the answer is no. Once  any of these burners are heating a forge, the major impacts of their flames are nearly universal, and the minor differences are only of interest to maniacs like me :D

• 1 month later...