I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil stands

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That isn't an ASO Phil, it's an anvil and a darned nice one too. It just isn't a London pattern anvil.

An ASO is something that LOOKS like an anvil usually a poor quality cast iron London Pattern shape. 

How wide in that keyway?  A little welding and it might make a dandy hardy hole.

Nice stand. Well done all round.

Frosty The Lucky.

A new 136 lb blue steel boy was born today.  The FedEx guy kept him 4 extra days for snow ballast but he is here now.  He is mounted on sycamore round and countersunk wrapped in old tool belt.  It is rumored a 52 hardness but the best steel from China and under $2.50 per lb.image.thumb.jpeg.73a371aa1f836153d4a3da4692179c9e.jpeg

I didn’t have silicone but some fancy caulk dipel left that I used to glue down solar panel to truck camper roof in the fall. I used marker to draw firery eyes and teeth that I will paint another day.  The dipel was applied liberally and oozed out so it could be painted red.  Maybe it really is an acme anvil.

On 2/12/2021 at 12:59 PM, Frosty said:

That isn't an ASO Phil, it's an anvil and a darned nice one too. It just isn't a London pattern anvil.

Frosty,

It definitely works well.  Great rebound and no ring!  Its 1 1/8" key way, and that has been my plan to may a nice hardy hole out of it.  I kind of got distracted last week when I was gifted an 1885 Fisher anvil, now my focus has been on getting a new stand built for it since the log it was on was really soft and un level on the bottom.  Going for wood for this stand.

New stand I just finished up for my Fisher anvil.  4 x 4's glued and lagged together in groups of threes, then those 3 groups glued and bolted together with 3/8" all thread.  Cut out holders on the plasma for some hammers, tongs, pliers and hard hole tools for the top, and and an angle iron frame for the bottom with 4 corner bolts to take any wobble out due to my concrete floor.

20210219_150057.jpg

20210219_150108.jpg

20210219_150104.jpg

20210219_145923.jpg

Nice looking stand, I like it. A good way to stabilize a wood stand it to hollow the bottom a LITTLE so it has 4 feet to rest on. 

The adjustable screw feet aren't likely to last very long as mentioned above and tend to scar concrete.

Frosty The Lucky.