I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil stands

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jennifer, I have it set up so I can remove the anvil if needed to make adjustments after I use it for a while. I'm going to build up one side for an upsetting block in the future, I don't have any thick plate right now. The blind flange is 1 1/2" thick and I'm planning on adding 2-3 inches for the upsetting block.

Frosty,

thanks, I’m like you on 3 legged stands. It is so much easier to level them on uneven ground. I find I can work around them easier also. I have all of my jambalaya pots on them and it works great when cooking away from home. 

I learned about this from my grandmother’s milk stool when I was 5 or 6, it had one leg in the middle and your feet made the other two, it always set level no matter where you set. Blew my mind when I saw it, but I never forgot it. 

I've preferred a tripod stand since I tried one. It's not so much level as automatically stable that matters to me. I don't need level I can adjust within reason but I can't have my stuff rocking or moving in use. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally had to drag my 88 pound Söderfors out of its lonely corner. The forge is being reconfigured, and the 157 pounder is on a huge 300# Eucalyptus stump, waiting to be carved into a stand. Terribly under foot and tough to access.

Kept having to go to the 88, so I broke out the electric chainsaw, and started in on an extremely well cured euc log. Came out at about 100#.

20190619_202040.jpg

20190619_202657.jpg

Below: Lag bolt forged and drifted into an eye bolt.

20190621_185531.jpg

Below: Closing cut link over eye bolt.

20190621_193813.jpg

20190621_193944.jpg

20190621_202443.jpg

20190621_202722.jpg

And forged in a pine cone and Mulberry wood fire.

20190618_203259.jpg

Thanks for the compliment. I was going for as few parts as possible.  I calibrated the chain links by crushing them to elongate. That is where that particular hardy is nice. It is ballistic resistant steel, a section from a ~ 20 inch Ø gear.

Each gear had one of these segments milled off, in a pre-hardened condition, harder than my Söderfors.  Great for cold-working chain and spring steel. Picture a second segment opposing the first, connected by a linkage, the teeth modified to suit, and meshing with tons of force.

Some swage, eh? It is in the works.

Robert Taylor

Very nice, JLP! love your smithy.  Watched intently you tutorial of forging shuriken, I will enjoy making some myself.

As far as the dab of weld on the chain link goes I will bet your favorite sandwich that those links will never open in this particular application - had to hit them hard to open, and harder with a three pounder to close.

I hear you on the focus thing. I am glad that I have finally been home long enough to dial in the fuel cycle on the forge I am using. I can have a pretty shallow charcoal bed and get in and out quick. Always end the session with more charcoal than I started with!

I deleted the the extra info.. I thought it was under the what did you do in the shop thread instead of the anvil stand thread. 

Thanks on all accounts..  They are pretty fun to make.. Challenging and fun. 

I'm sure you have worked out exactly what you wanted to accomplish.. :)
  I will certainly take your word on the performance and keep my fingers crossed.. 

The nuts used in the trailer stand are 1 1/8" and I tighten them while hitting them lightly with a hammer to hear the tone change to a higher pitch.  Bewteen all for nuts there is a bunch of clamping force.. 

FYI for others,  there is a reason why chain made by a blacksmith has the welds at the ends vs sides..  Has to do with stress and tension being greater on the sides vs ends..  It's the reason why an over stretched chain will stand up straight..  Kinda neat in it's own right.. 

Anyhow, long day..  Looks great..   So glad you have gotten things back together .

That eucalyptus stump must smell amazing.. I'm envious. 

I grabbed a handful of chainsaw leavings and stuffed my face in them. (I save 'em cause  good in the forge) this was a pretty old log. Quite mentholly. Locust, on the other hand, has has that rich, chocolatey bouquet.

Texture? That's tricky. Have not tried working it, so I do not know if it has a good figure. Saws like a rock, though. Nothing like locust, which I cultivate.

JLP, would you post a pic of that hold down detail?