I Forge Iron

New convertible brick forge. Criticism and ideas welcome!

DKish

Put this little guy together recently, but have a nagging suspicion that it could be better. Granted, this is only to hold me over until I can complete my freon tank forge. I personally like the way it can change sizes depending on the size of stock I am working with. Was able to work some cuts off of a coil spring into some straight sections to practice bladesmithing. Any questions, ideas, and/or criticism (constructive only, please) are welcome. Thanks in advance!

IMG_4159.JPG

IMG_4158.JPG

IMG_4157.JPG

IMG_4153.JPG

image.jpg

image.jpg

To begin with, those look like insulating fire brick, BUT, obviously not the standard 2300 F overly friable (crumbling) variety, which cannot withstand thermal cycling; possibly, it is 2600 F semi hard insulating fire brick? This makes a huge difference, because the later variety is worth coating with Kast-O-lite 30 hard castable refractory, and then with a heat reflective coating.

You can buy the refractory and heat reflective coating in small quantities from Wayne; a member here.

If you are going to continue burning propylene, you should consider buying it in an industrial cylinder from a welding supply store

Also, you could get just as much heat from common cheap propane, if you switched out your canister-mount air-fuel hand torch for a 1/2" "T" burner in a sealed burner port.

I personally like your torch holding clamp, but placing the brick in drilled angles, and employing tubing for burner ports are a lot SAFER way to go.

I hope you simply take this critique as helpful advise, and not as hostility to your forge choice. What are often called Two Brick forges around here, are a popular idea, which I would rather support, then drub.

Thanks for the reply, Mike.  I understand where you are coming from with safety being top priority. I plan on contacting Wayne before too long to get supplies for my other forge. The propylene being used is some leftovers from work. I have a much larger propane tank that will be connected via an adapter hose. As for the clamp rig, this is just a temporary setup until I finish my freon tank forge body. When that is complete, this little guy will be for quick little odd jobs that may come along. 

Hi Dkish , I think your forge will work to start, I recommend to experiment with making your own burner.

This month I finished my gas forge and y had  to say that the key is the burner, I spent a lot of hours searching and learning about propane forges from Ron reil's page and then start building my own of EZ burner , it takes three attempts to susefull (it take an whole year of experience ) but the results pay the effort. I put the burner in mi experimental fire brick forge and the result surprise me, a very good forge . 

So the forge it self is the easy part, it can be whatever you can afford, the best and more insulating material the best but the heart is the burner, and de iddle system. Here some photos

IMG_20170629_191325126.jpg

IMG_20170701_154710477.jpg

built this from a borrowed idea, trailer jack supports top while reconfiguring walls of  insulation brick, restackable to many different sizes, floor is hard brick two sidearm burners are run on 2 seperate regulators 2 seperate 30lb tanks not attached in picture, you can forge weld with one burner if stacked small, and easily weld biiger stuff when running both burners, pros; very efficient, much quieter than a blown gas forge, good capacity, cons;  this brick is not durable, its not very portable compared to  compact lightweight kaowool lined cylinder forges  

IMG_20170715_201942_hdr.jpg

On 7/15/2017 at 8:28 PM, woodsmith said:

built this from a borrowed idea, trailer jack supports top while reconfiguring walls of  insulation brick, restackable to many different sizes, floor is hard brick two sidearm burners are run on 2 seperate regulators 2 seperate 30lb tanks not attached in picture, you can forge weld with one burner if stacked small, and easily weld biiger stuff when running both burners, pros; very efficient, much quieter than a blown gas forge, good capacity, cons;  this brick is not durable, its not very portable compared to  compact lightweight kaowool lined cylinder forges  

IMG_20170715_201942_hdr.jpg

That looks very nice! I really like the variable height setup.