I Forge Iron

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and very new to smithing, my first forge is coming this week courtsey of the Iron Dwarf, and i was hoping to give it a go this weekend, but im having a nightmare trying to source some forge breeze up in the north east.

I really want to use use coke, as that is what i have had some lessons using, im in Teesside and i would really like some help / advice in where to find some of this elusive stuff. I could get it online, but i dont think the wife would put up with half a ton round the back, and my youngest would never be out of the stuff (cant keep him clean now) I only wanted to buy 3-4 bags to get me going, ive got a big barrel that will hold that much but no more.

Thanks very much in advance

welcome to the forum, if you ask smoggy ( who will no doubt be here soon ) he may be able to help you, he lives only a few miles away, or if you can wait a while I can send some up there with him as he is coming down here in just over a week for a land rover show

Hi Iron Strike, Welcome to IFI, I use charcoal, except when I'm forging on ID's forge and then it's his coke (which I find even cheaper then my homemade charcoal). So I haven't even looked for a local coke supplier. Two suggestions:- First you could ask who ever you learned with if they know of a supplier as they obviously use coke, accepted they may make bulk purchases but may be prepaired to resell to you. Secondly theyre are still some solid fuel merchants in our area and if you let them know what you want they may be able to souce you what you need.

As ID states I'll be down his way in a week or so working on a stand with him and as I have a hire van I can collect from him and drop off at yours on my return, but please note I will be pushed for time to take the van off hire.....so will need to be able to drop and go. (or I could store for you to collect from me in Middlesbrough)

If all else fails it's online ordering.

i know one time we were using that PET coke nuggets ,(i can get that) bloody horrible stuff, kept turning to glass and turned to one big lump, exploded on me too and stuck to my head, had a nice burn for a while, i wear a cap now. lol

You'll want less air with charcoal than you'll be used to and expect sparks. You could just burn some wood down to char in the forge as long as it isn't going to cause aproblem with the neighbours.

Mind you I'm not so sure suspending the wife from a basket bracket is such a good idea.......!

• 2 weeks later...

I get my smithy breeze coke from j Harrison's stoke on Trent when I pick up the last lot they said they had sent some up to the Shetland isles.

i paid just over £10 for a 20 kilo bag might be worth contacting them and asking if they would ship you some. Don't know if it would be cost effective but worth a try.