I Forge Iron

Canister Damascus questions

Will W.

On 7/3/2017 at 6:34 PM, Will W. said:

Then they have to go through the trouble of keeping the tubing from sticking to the higher carbon steel inside, and having to peel off the mild can. Why not use high carbon steel and fabricate a tube out of that? And just forge weld it right to everything else? It seems like a good way to circumvent all the problems, in my head at least. I'm curious about how it would affect the final pattern as well.

No, your grinding dust would not make good fill for a canister. The act of grinding causes the material to oxidize. As you know, metal oxides have a far higher melting temperature than the metals do. It wouldn't fuse.

On 12/15/2019 at 9:08 PM, Jack S said:

Yes I put the end caps inside the tubing. I use a press to set the welds if I put the caps on the ends they buckle out even more and I loose pressure and end up with delams on the ends of the billet.

I see this is over a year old but I must ask:  I noticed this press does NOT utilize the -W- template at the top and bottom of the press so when pressing a canaster it fits into the slots as to contain the canaster sides while pressing.  I ask because I just build a press w/20 TON hydraulic & air jack and was thinking do I need a -W- template or just pressing on flat side of canaster just fine?  On Forged In Fire their press utilizes the -W- template when forging a canaster.

Yeah, use V block dies in your press. The reasons should be obvious. V W, same same. V is the die and W is the shape of the press attachment. Were I making one I'd weld two pieces of heavy angle iron of an appropriate width to the base plate. One top and one bottom die. I'd make the same dies were I to want to weld canister under my Little Giant. 

Frosty The Lucky.