I Forge Iron

Picked up an Oliver hammer

Or a treadle hammer, what ever you want to call it. I picked this up at auction a few weeks ago. Cleaned it up and got it back in use. 

The hammer weighs 28lbs. It hits quite hard and there is a reasonable amount of control. It needs a couple of bits sorting on it but on the whole I'm pretty chuffed with it. 

Here's a quick video on it running. Skip in a couple of minutes if you don't want the chat. 

All the best 
Andy 

You're welcome bud. 

I was using it a lot today, while it is good on it's own for just pounding stuff, it really comes into it's own when using top tools. There's so much clearance available I can even use the hand punches I have. (not that I would) You get a good level of control with it, though it struggles with really light taps as it needs a bit of a swing to get things moving, by which time you gain a bit of power - if that makes sense?

I'll be making some hardy tooling for the anvil. Coupled with that it really will be a great machine to have. 

I'll be editing a detailed video on it with dimensions and such this evening. Hope to get that uploaded asap. 

All the best 

Andy 

On 7/4/2017 at 2:38 PM, Everything Mac said:

I'll be editing a detailed video on it with dimensions.

Looking forward to it. If you also feel like posting measured drawings here, that would be awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool machine I like it! Blacker's (A, B and C) are a really handy design. Maybe not as well suited for the same item over and over in production forging, but have the versatility to handle most any job that comes in the door. 

Nice hammer though the video sort of lost me they're not really for general smithing. Freeing a hand to top tools and deliver a striker power blow without having to trust a striker is a Blacker or Oliver's main thing. The business didn't have to pay a second person, even just a helper maybe that's the real purpose.

I'm looking forward to your Videos Mac, especially any tooling you come up with. I'll bet the hammer strikes more parallel with the anvil face on a top tool too.

Thanks.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...