I Forge Iron

First coat hanger

dpmcginn75

Just finished this for a guy at work...it is hard to tell from the picture, but I used the grinder to put some design on the face and then put back over the fire to give it a little color before i put the beeswax coating on it.

Coat hanger.jpg

The piece of deck board is not part of the hanger...that was just something to mount it to for the picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks really good, but a bit of advice if you don't mind.  Might want to make the tips a bit wider.  

Most felt hats are out of style now, but may come back eventually.  Light hats would be fine, but heavier hats and coats would appreciate a slightly wider place to sit.  

I do see your grinder marks, and that is always a matter of taste. If you like the style, keep using it.   Or experiment with other textures.  No stresses on decorations.  Find what fits for your style or what your client/friends want.  Best not to lock yourself in to anything you don't enjoy.  

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate any and all. I had thought about a wider/fatter end to the hook but showed the client the smaller hooks prior to finishing it and they liked it the way it was. They also like the grinder marks as well. Not sure how well it can be seen in the picture but I also left the straw/blue/purple coloring from heating it up for the final beeswax coating. There are some things I would have done different if I were hanging it in my house, but it is what the client wanted and happy with. Thanks for the comments!

Other than putting more of a finial to support hats and coats and using something other than bees wax for a finish it came out very well. 

If the customer likes it then it's good. There are few forms of praise more real than someone willing to give you money. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I made a batch of the batch in "The Art of Blacksmithing" 1pt wax, 1pt turpentine and 1pt soot. I used paraffin and some of the pieces I hung on the barn are unrusted after maybe 18 years give or take. They don't get much wear though. 

I don't remember who tipped me to Trewax, it's paste carnuba floor and furniture polish. It's the stuff used on bowling alleys you have to sand to remove. "Bowling Alley Wax" is another tough as nails finish, same basic stuff. Applied fresh coffee hot it melts very thin and penetrates everywhere. Wipe off the excess and once cool it leaves a wet look. Too thick and it will chip.

Johnson's furniture polish is a popular finish. Heck I've talked to guys over the years who use Future floor polish and I don't know what's in the stuff but it's reputed to be pretty tough.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Thanks Frosty...once I get I to the new shop I will have ample storage and a conditioned building so I can make some up and not have to worry with moving it around when it's in the way.

I am planning to post pictures of the new in the shop pages once I get move, late August-September timeframe, so keep an eye out. I am more excited and anxious to get in the shop than I am the house!!

Not having to mix it up is as good a reason to use canned paste wax as I know of. There are a lot of recipes for finishes and I rarely see any that perform better than Trewax or Bowling Alley Wax. Carnuba is some really tough stuff.

Oh drats, I'm starting to sound like I'm in marketing:o. . . . Ewwwwwww! :wacko:

Frosty The Lucky.