I Forge Iron

New shop forge question

I will be moving in the next couple of months to what will be out last house. It has 20x32 shop with a concrete floor and counter/cabinets/work bench already running down the longest length of the shop. My father-in-law used to run his wood shop out of the building so there is plenty of outlets (he had several large Grizzly shop tools) and even a few 220 outlets so there is options for where to put other equipment/tools. I know that this will be our last home since it is the one that my wife grew up in and her dad built when she was little and we were offered to buy it from the current owners. In the interim i will use the break drum forge that I built years ago when I first started out smithing. My initial plan was to build a permanent brick or stone shop forge, but I guess my question is would it be better to just build a freestanding table forge made of metal? Also, if I go with the brick/stone side draft (similar to the one in the blueprints section) does the chimney have to go straight up or can it turn and go out the side of the building? I think straight up may be easier, as the building is cinder block, but i would like to see what my options are. Thanks!

Hi there, sounds like a nice new shop you will be using. I wont comment on the coal forge set up since I have never used one.

I'm sure loads of people here will help you with that though! What type of roof is on the building? Think modifying the roof to suit should be easy enough?