I Forge Iron

5 1/2" Peter Wright leg vise

Foundryman

I've owned this vise for over three years but I've never got round to mounting it as I've moved twice in that time and always had other clamping options however now I have a very basic outdoors set up without a workbench or even a roof and I needed to get it mounted. The vise itself was very cheap at £30 and was only 10 miles away, it's in great condition. The stand cost me more than the vise itself as I had to buy the steel disc for the base but I got the box section and mounting plate for free so I can't complain too much. I think the vise is a Peter Wright, it's stamped with "Wright" "Patent" "Solid Box" on the screw box. I painted the mount to prevent rusting and keep the vise rubbed down with a light coat of oil. The whole thing lives under a cheap BBQ cover to keep the rain off as it'll be outdoors year round.

WP_20170702_13_50_13_Pro__highres.thumb.jpg.8c51b432a4b65b01e1bac833c26421cf.jpgWP_20170702_13_50_29_Pro__highres.thumb.jpg.12ad6901425c520038f10fa5f65aaf4d.jpg

Edit: had trouble with photos - fixed.

I've done a little homework on these vises. I've been to the UK and Australia, and the Peter Wrights there seem to have a slight chamfer on the legs, whereas the ones imported to the U. S. have deeply chamfered legs. Don't know the reason. I've seen a couple of vises in the U.S. that have "P" stamped before "Wright" on the box.

Interesting, thanks for the info.  This one only has a very slight chamfer to the legs which fits your pattern.  I can't see a "P" but there could have been one originally as the "Wright" seems to be offset, there also seems to be some ghost markings between the "wright" and the "patent" but I think they're too far gone and will remain a mystery.