I Forge Iron

Restored a nice old girl

Millhand

This one was in the pile i brought home from conneticit.  Looked like she spent many years buried in some yard lol.   But when i opened her up the screw and box looked like they were new.   Couldn't help but spend a few days bringing her back to her former glory. ENJOY! 

20170628_210645.jpg

Had already cleaned her up a bit before i had taken any pics.  Sorry

20170628_210654.jpg

Found some punched in marks.  I can make out 1867 and a few letters.   Maybe 1866 above that?? 

20170629_213038.jpg

Last two letters are EY 1867 

Any idea of maker? 

Has 90 stamped in as well.  It weighs 98 lbs 6" jaws 

Yes she did arkie.  Im stoked it turned out so well! Alot of work but i think she deserved some love! 

20170629_202144.jpg

8 hours ago, Frank Turley said:

A veritable work of art. I would say, "Not for sale."

Agreed Frank !!    Think I will pass that on on to my kids.  Onto project number two! It is in much better shape though.  Just a take down and wire brushing will make her shine.  

14988626544931369194227.jpg

Swiming in posts! Year ago i couldn't find one now I have a collection LOL.  

Back when I started buying them in Central Ohio (1990's); I could get a 4" vise, complete and in good condition for US$20 to $25 my 6"+ vises ran me $50; I had a bunch come through my shop as I was always getting heavier vises till I realized I needed some light ones two. I put a limit on how many I would keep: 10 (and ended up with 12).