I Forge Iron

NWGS - no weld grinder

Melw45

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's 1/2 hp. I took my 2" x 48" Rockwell belt grinder apart to drive this one. I'd like more power but I'm making enough mistakes with this one I'll upgrade when my skills sets can make use of it. Seriously, I can correct the mistakes I make with this slow cutter but if it was faster and stronger I'd probably have had to have the blade removed from a lower appendage.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

If there is any remote chance that the medical authorities would have to remove a blade from one of your appendages, please buy a set of chain saw chaps.

Myself, being a new improved KLUTZ,

I invested in a deluxe pair a decade ago.

Please understand that this is no low observation of your abilities. It is a just a friendly suggestion.

Respectfully submitted,

SLAG.

Update on this project.

Went by Harbor Freight and picked up a linked v belt and a grease gun for the bearings.

I was able to use a 25% off coupon.:D

Now all i need is to get some abrasive belts. Any one have a good supplyer for the belts that wont brake the bank?

Thanks

Mel

I find chain saw chaps to be a serious trip hazard in the woods. It wouldn't be as bad in the shop and isn't a bad thought. I have since changed the position of the rest and the grinder can't throw anything but sparks straight down, a dime could maybe fit between the belt and the rest. 

Another thought I had more for controlling the dust but would act as a "scatter shield" to contain thrown work would be a tall narrow open topped wooden box that rested under the rest. The shop vac would hook up to the back and the ox should contain any lost items. 

I've seen similar boxes in pics of guys grinding knives I THINK. I'll be keeping my eyes open.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...