I Forge Iron

Introduction: Jared McGowan

·       Good evening IFI,

My name is 1) Jared McGowan and I live in 2) Indianapolis, IN. I have been lurking on this forum for several months and figured I should jump on board and introduce myself. I am a lighting designer in the live entertainment industry. I developed an interest in blacksmithing about 7 months ago.

3) I plan on making general household utility items such as hooks and drawer pulls to start. I am also going to dabble in bladesmithing and anything else that catches my fancy as I journey on.

4) I took a class at Brown County Forge in Bloomington, IN. There was no turning back after that.

5) I am in the process of building a railroad track anvil which was obtained through legal means.

6) My first forge will be a stacked firebrick forge.

7) Terran Marks at Brown County Forge was my first in person teacher. I took a class from him in May. IFI was my first teacher when it comes to grasping all the details that go into blacksmithing. My girlfriend has been my biggest supporter through the whole process.

8) I watched Assassins Creed when it came out and started trying to figure out how to make a hidden blade as a joke with my girlfriend. The research into that “joke” has led me to attempting to become a blacksmith. A heavy dose of movie magic and historical interested helped as well.

9) Not sure. I will let you know when I find it.

10) The biggest piece of advice I can give is DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH. Have an idea of what you want to do and the basic concepts of anything you want to ask a question about.

11) I am not confident enough in my own knowledge to presume to advise active blacksmiths.

12) I discovered that blacksmithing was fully alive in modern times. It really surprised me at how many people are pursuing blacksmithing. Some even as a full time career. It blew my mid

I want to thank everyone here. I have been able to progress in setting up my smithy primarily because of the information I was able to find here. Shout out to Frosty who seems to be everywhere on this forum as well as Charles R. Stevens. Both of them have greatly educated me without their knowing it.

I look forward to getting to know people on this site. Hopefully some people are in my area as well. I plan on joining IBA in July.

Sincerely, Thank you all for all the great info and your dedication to the craft.

Hey fellow Hoosier....yer right, there a several smiths in the area. Sounds like you should fit in here well. Have you checked out the IBA facebook page? How far are you willing to drive for meetings? What type of fuel you plan on using in yer stack of firebrick? I'll be around if ya need something.....                   Life is Good                Dave 

Thank you both for the welcome.

Dave: I was hoping that would be the case. I am on the IBA facebook page as Jared McGowan. I haven't sent in my membership application yet. I am planning on doing that in July. I am willing to drive up to 2 hrs for a meeting. That gives me a pretty good radius around Indiana. South bend would be a bit far for me. I am going to use propane as my fuel. I'm in a rental home at the moment and cannot alter piping for Natural Gas. When I buy a place, I plan on making sure I have a tap in my workshop. I plan on creating a topoic once I get my forge built for critiques. I appreciate the offer. I will pm you.

Jared

be aware Ft Wayne is at your 2 hour limit but has 6 IFI members, 3 less active active than the rest we meet second Saturday of the month, but there are closer groups you should hook up with for long term associations 

Thanks for the info. Once I join IBA, I will find a regular group a little closer to home but I am willing to make longer runs for conferences and such occasions. I actually used Fort Wayne when making the decision on the 2 hr mark.

Welcome aboard Jared, glad to have you. Giving Me a shout out thanks in your intro?! Are you trying to make me blush? Seriously, you're welcome, it's my pleasure.

I assume you're read Charles' Stevens posts about vertically mounted rail anvils? If not check them out rail anvils are as effective and useful as the smith using them. 

Living in a rental means small scale and portable though a house would let you set up something a little more set. A cylindrical forge is easy to build, versatile and can be made light & portable. Much easier and more economical than a brick pile forge. Just don't throw the bricks away!

I think you're going to fit right in. You DO like puns and off topic yarns. Yes? :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Dave: I have not received a response. Maybe you were off pitch.

Frosty: Making you blush was my only intent. I am not really that appreciative ;) 

I did read Charles' post. I actually messaged him last night same as you. My intent is to replicate his design. My sketch is attached.

Rentals do make things complicated. I looked at a small cylindrical forge when I was considering forge builds. It was a toss up between solvarr's ammo can forge and Larry Zoeller's Firebrick Forge. Material costs and ease of setup were the clinchers for me when I decided IFB forge. I found BNZ IFB 3000 bricks locally on craigslist for a killer price. I've attached my drawings based on Larry's design. I actually already have the IFB and mocked it up. I plan to buy the steel frame next week as well as my burner and accessories.

What's the ideal shape for fitting in? I do enjoy a good pun but dad jokes are my favorite. Why can't you run in a camp ground?

Jared 

IMG_4433.JPG

IMG_4419.JPG

IMG_4420.JPG

IMG_4422.JPG