I Forge Iron

My 3rd? Knife WIP

MrDarkNebulah

So I've been doing blacksmithing for over a year and now I've decided I wanted to try some knives this summer. This is my 3rd or so forged knife (I did some stock removal as well previously) and I wanted to try to make a more traditional tanto. It is forged out of a coil spring and after hardening, it passed the file test, so I'm happy with it. Unfortunately, it took on a bit of a warp but it looks like I can grind it out. Please critique as much as you can, I know I need it.

IMG_0687.thumb.jpg.1a6526ef0f5e62bd75ade37722e39c57.jpgIMG_0685.thumb.jpg.f3317a66444732333b1309c83135d73e.jpgIMG_0686.thumb.jpg.281b94826c6e01c2eaba11e6ead65d5e.jpg`IMG_0683.thumb.jpg.4a4deef1c6d8a19a5907fd77922f75d3.jpg```

Not at all bad for a third forged blade, but...

What grit did you grind your bevels to before quenching?  As Thomas said you have a ton of surface issues, most likely due to scale to clean up, and now after being hardened it will be much more difficult.  You may have similar issues with your tang.  Depending on how you plan on attaching a handle the curve to the tang, lack of hole for a pin, and the geometry of the tang/blade connection may prove a bit of a challenge also.

What is the blade size?  If in proportion to the plug in the first picture it looks pretty small for a tanto.  You may want to peruse this site which goes into some detail on classic tanto geometry: http://islandblacksmith.ca/2014/06/classical-tanto-geometry-blade-kissaki-tip/

Judging by the textures of the blade it seems you have overheated the steel what also caused the warp. Even after tempering the blade will still be too hard so dont be surprised if it breaks. I've had same experience when heat treating spring steel and even when I tempered it to blue color the tip instantly broke.

What I would do :straighten the blade , anneal  , heat to cherry red and quench.  

What you got there fits more into a hunting knife type, tanto is different beast.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the critique. TP, I did accidentally burn the tip a bit while forging, so I had to grind off an inch or so of it. 

I was able to grind out the remaining warp so now it is pretty straight, and yes, I now realize after doing some actual research that it is not very tanto like. It was more of my attempt at a tanto without really knowing what one was when I had extra time while forging. I quenched it in used motor oil. The handle is mahogany with some lacquer as a finish and a bronze guard. I made the guard too small and didn't have any more bronze to make a new one, so it is a bit off on the spine. All in all, I am happy with how the knife came out, as it was my first ever hidden tang and guard, but I definitely need to work on my fit and finish. (It is a bit blotchy because I was messing around with it a bit by the wood pile. No breaks or bends!)IMG_0696.thumb.jpg.7f4daed480e2c1286edfe42c65b8db79.jpgIMG_0695.thumb.jpg.dc877ca88b42336d8091df8392b0ee58.jpgIMG_0694.thumb.jpg.32c39a71fb07e0c9e4dbd8bc4ad6698e.jpgIMG_0693.thumb.jpg.046f05a1b719de61f713a2f9e321586d.jpg