I Forge Iron

Hay Budden Anvil Identification question

Ill be honest guys, I am not sure if I should have clicked into the HB review thread or started a new one.  So I started a new because I am not sure I have a HB anvil, and fear I may have been played.  I am not worried about the money but would like to know if it is what I hope it is :) I do apologize that my first post is to pester you with a question.

Every picture I find of a HB I can identify at least some part of the logo stamp or some other number, but on mine, nothing.  No logo, no serial #, nothin.

I am beginning to fear it is not a HB and I bought something else, from one read on 'identifying your anvil' the author made a statement that sometimes anvils were 'unfinished' and sold as is for cheap.  So anyway, here is what I have:  a 300lb. "Hay Budden" but I am greatly concerned by the texture on the side and lack of any markings that i can find.  The bottom (I forgot to take a picture) is flat with a square hole in the center.  I can see the top plate seem, and maybe another between the top half and the bottom half at the waste.

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fZduigpqipXbZo5WgWmQOloeTum-YDqXWA/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

20170603_112901.jpg

welcome aboard. to be of real help we will need some more pics from all different angles, and closeups of the sides. if we have enough to go on it would be rough if someone here couldn't put a name to it. unfortunately, our HB guru is out of town for 2 months and has no internet were he is. from that 1 pic, i don't see anything that could not be HB.   

It's definitely a good brand anvil and of American make (due to the attenuated shape common to American anvils in the "latter" years.)

How many handling holes does it have and where are they located?

What does the underside of the heel look like---smooth or undulating?

Any stampings on the front foot?

My guessing pool is currently: Trenton, Arm and Hammer or HB  All top makes!  Now to narrow it down.

99.9% sure that you have a Hay-Budden, due to the "picture frame" on the base. Every one that I have ever been able to examine has that detail: thin raised rim around a recessed base. Makes it sit flat without rocking on most stumps or mounting stands.

Oh, after about an hour only an administrator can alter a post, the edit feature times out to prevent meddling with content.

It does have a Trenton-ish profile, but that base style is nothing like any I've ever seen from Trenton.  Earlier A&H did have rather flat bottom cast bases, but not with any sort of rim border.

The handling hole in the back foot (and none in the front) is a distinct clue pointing to it being a HB. Don't believe any other American company did that besides HB.

I did take a wire wheel to it but I have not ground on it or try to clean it up. It rings nice and has far more bounce than the rail road steel I first struck. 

After just a few projects, and still trying to master tapers and leaves, i have fallen in love with it. Man what I wouldn't give to know where this thing has been and how it came to be. 

By the end of the summer it will have its own place and I look forward to many many projects together.