I Forge Iron

They can't all be perfect

Johnnyreb338

During quenching. I heard it cracking in the tank.     Later this morning I cut some 2x2 test pieces of the same materials and tried welding them again, same problem, I quenched it and it delaminated as soon as it cooled. Not sure what's happening. I done another blade after the first 1 failed but I left the 15n20 out and it worked fine. 

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

Good afternoon  Thomas.   The quenant was canola oil and the temp was a good Brite orange  (1600 1700) degrees. The core was 1095  1/8 thick, 2 each 5160 1/16 thick ,2 each 15n20 1/16 thick, and capped with 1/16 cold rolled flat bar on each side. 

Good afternoon  Steve. 

It was ordered as so, and still had the sticker on it. 

Leaving out critical information is more normal than not when folks ask questions here; hence my numerous posts about details!

That problem is that the asker *knows* all the details and seems to forget we don't...(hmmm when was the last time I twitted someone about wearing a tin foil hat impeding our ability to read their mind...)

I've had trouble welding nickel/chromium steels to themselves. Enough that I often will put a piece of plain steel between them---I look for *old* hand saws that are trashed at the scrapyard---from before they started adding in the fancy alloys; or I use pallet strapping.

They can be welded using very proper technique; I tend to just "cheat" and get on with it.

Laundry borax isn't as aggressive as you'd like for welding chromium or nickle steels. If you have a welding supply store locally check the cans of welding/brazing flux. It's typically anhydrous borax, boric acid and sometimes something proprietary you have to look on the MSDS to get a hint of.

Or, better still if you can order sal amoniac but use good, VERY good ventilation it can be darned toxic to breath.

Well, yeah it's something you did wrong but you can fix that and we'll help. ;)

Frosty The Lucky. 

Thanks for the response 

I'll run by the welding store and pick up some good Flux before I try this again. If I try it again. 

The money going out vs the money coming in is a little to one sided. Plus I don't have a belt sander so all work has to be done by hand. Lately I've been questioning whether to keep doing it or not. I think drag racing was just as cheap. Hopefully it will stop raining here 1 day so I can go fishing.

Mixing your own is a LOT cheaper than buying "REAL FORGE" welding flux from blacksmith suppliers. Plain old dip your brazing, welding, etc. rod in the can welding flux is significantly cheaper than "real" welding flux and it's basically the same stuff. I bought a 1lb. can of Peterson's #2 for $26 and change, on the shelf in Wasilla Ak. Their high temp Yellow I think has powdered iron in it if you prefer. 

Flourspar is what I couldn't remember and is a very aggressive flux it's the "flourine" content that is effective for chrome, nickle, etc. alloys. Read up on getting flourine in you though, it's scary stuff. Transdermal toxins scare me.

Thanks for remembering the flux Thomas, I knew I could count on somebody's memory. :) 

Glad to see you posting again, all rested up?

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...