I Forge Iron

Unique chain

jeremy k

Here is some unique chain that came into my hands, I've never seen any like this. Just curious if anyone else has. Each link is approximately 6-1/2" x 3-3/4" x 7/8". This piece of chain is 17 ft long. There is some extensive wearing on the insides of each link were it touches another. I am curious as to why this chain was made with grooves in it.

IMG_20170625_095959423.jpg

IMG_20170625_095837842.jpg

The only reason I can think of to include a fuller in each link is to reducce the weight while retaining the strength, I've never come across anchor chain of that design, not to say there isn't. The size/shape of the end eye suggests a lifting chain to me. Are there no marking on any of the links?

The end link is typical of that meant to take, a hook, a shackle or pass the chain through itself providing a bight, which is why I suspect it a lifting chain.

I suspedt you mean side to side Jeremy, or at least the gentleman did, slewing line.....usually a cable but could be chain I would imagine.

Thing is if the chain is only 17' long and has the same terminal link on each end, ie it's full original length then, it's seems a tad short for either a slewing line or an anchor chain given the link size.

Smoggy, I was talking about the guy that told me it was from an old dragline, not sure he is correct.

Smoggy, I do agree with you about the one end that has the teardrop shaped link.

This length of chain does not appear or have any sign of being wrought iron. The links almost have the characteristics of being drop forged, then possibly resistance welded like a modern chain, as there is slight bulges on the long part of the link although the heavy wear has made that kinda hard to tell for sure.

How many links do you have in the length?  I'll have to check this evening, but I seem to recall my old leather tugs have chain ends like that for attaching to a single-tree.  Store-bought, fancy, pulling gear, maybe for shows/contests?  Before tractor pulls there were draft pulls....

Gee, the size didn't click.  My chains aren't near that big, but the fullers do look familiar.