I Forge Iron

T burner

Forgehermet

I have recently follow frosty's T burner plans and have one problem,my burner will be running good with dark and light blue flames it will suddenly go out and I would have to re light it. any advice on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance:D

We'll need more info, pics, and/or video to help out here.  How long after lighting does it go out?  Are you using a flare?  If so is this in the forge or outside of the forge?  Does this happen across the pressure range, only at low pressure, or only at high pressure?  Is this happening where any kind of breeze can reach the burner or is it indoors?  There are a lot of possibilities, but I could only make guesses at this point.

Buzz about covered the necessary things to know to get started trouble shooting. What size did you build? What pressure are you running? How far is the far forge wall from the burner port?

Pics in the door so we can see the flame:  one right after you light it, one after it warms up, one just before you expect it to go out. And a couple from the side so we can see what the flame coming out the door (dragon's breath) looks like.

T burners don't like breezes, they can be a problem.

Frosty The Lucky.

As others have said, more information is really needed.

If it is running outside a forge, it's pretty much normal behaviour for a burner. The gas/air mixture emerging from the burner causes a low-pressure zone which draws additional air towards the burner. If the flame starts to lift, there is nothing to stop it and it may continue lifting until it goes out.

In a forge though, rather than drawing fresh air, the low-pressure zone draws the forge atmosphere instead. As the forge atmosphere is basically a big flame, it tends to stabilize the burn on the end of the burner. If you hold a torch to the edge of the burner when running outside a forge, it will do the same thing

In a cold forge, it can also happen. It's not usually a problem in a forge built well from well-insulating materials: the forge temperature rises quickly and the forge atmosphere reaches the temperature needed to stabilize the flame, but it can be an issue when trying to dry out a lining for example. In this case, the undried lining is a big heatsink and the evaporating water will also tend to cool the forge atmosphere. The result is that the stuff being drawn toward the burner is too cold to stabilize the flame. 

In a hot forge, it seems quite rare to have a problem with flame stability in still conditions, though it can still happen when the wind is sufficient to blow the flame away.

In my (limited) experience, breezy conditions seem to affect NA burners with less highly-engineered mixing sections more than those with textbook or near-textbook Venturis. Blown burners seem to be even less affected and may be a better choice if your forging conditions are likely to be windy. 

If the intention is to run a burner outside a forge, or inside a forge that needs to run at an unusually low temperature (for Heat-Treating or similar), a flame retention cup can often be used to provide a "miniature forge" in which a toroidal (donut-shaped) ring of flame is established on the "shelf" of the retention cup and this will often stabilize the flame sufficiently. I tend to do this when building forges specifically for HT, but do not find is necessary for forges intended for forging or welding.