I Forge Iron

Arm and Hammer new to me...

Paxton

I recently acquired a wrought iron  Arm and Hammer anvil.  The logo is stamped in the side as opposed to being raised from the surface.  This, as I understand, is much more desirable since the raised logo would indicate a Vulcan Arm and Hammer which is cast iron.  It weighs 366 lbs.  I'm not worried about the value of the anvil as I was gifted with it and intend on gifting my son with it 40 years from now.  What I am interested in is hoping someone on the forum can assist me in dating it.  The serial number on the foot is 31538 I believe.  I'd hate to run out and purchase a copy of Anvils In America for $65 only to date it.  I don't mean to sound as though I intend on benefiting from someone else having invested in the book but I am hoping someone is willing to share the info.

Absolutely!  Here are two pics - One of the logo stamp and a pic of the anvil.  Sorta bummed out that the stamping is as poor as it is.  Maybe the worker was a bit tipsy that day.  :-)  

Stamp.jpg

Anvil.jpg

Thanks, Black Frog.  I appreciate the assistance and look forward to the other valuable information I will learn from the website.  Knowing this is the 4th logo style of A&H makes me now want to buy the book so I'll know more for future opportunities.  I may sell this one and get a smaller one.  Not sure I'm going to need this behemoth as my intentions are to make knives and smaller things.  BUT -- better to have more than I need than not enough.  Besides - it was FREE.  Guess I'll cross that bridge should I run across another while trying to build my smithing tool collection.

That information is not in the book.

I wouldn't sell that anvil, it will only go up in value.  And someday you may want a bigger anvil.  Since you got it for FREE, you don't have anything to lose by hanging on to it except storing it.

I once traded a ~125# Peter Wright (plus money plus a postvise screw and screwbox) for a 410# Trenton as the fellow wanted to have an anvil; but one he could move easily as he was travelling a lot; where I wanted a large anvil for my shop and didn't plan to move much more.

I think you could very easily find a deal like that *here*!  Blacksmiths suffer terribly from Anvil Envy; but in reality most of us could do our work on a 165# anvil which was once specified as a good size for a commercial shop anvil. (Industrial work went larger)

Yeah, after having a bit to think on it I'm probably just going to keep it.  I don't NEED the money.  I don't have anything invested in it except a couple of hours manual labor digging it out.  And I have plenty of space in my shop for a smaller anvil should I run across a deal on a smaller one.  BUT -- it will be something to consider should I decide I need a power hammer.  :-)