I Forge Iron

The Puukko

templehound

When I was a little boy puukkos were my favourite, most important knives.

My first self cut deep flesh wounds came from Puukko blades.

They were always sharp. I loved them.

.....This small puukko has a blade with rhombic cross section and is made of 1.2552(80WCrV8) tool steel.

There is copper for the fittings and a stacked leather handle.with the tang riveted on the butt.

overall length measures180 mm.

Cheers

Pukko1.JPG

Pukko2.JPG

Pukko3.JPG

Pukko4.JPG

Pukko5.JPG

Pukko6.JPG

Pukko7.JPG

The Puukko is legendary and it appears you have honored it well.  What a superb tool.  It will teach a person to make small, sure cuts and no rash moves, as it sounds like you learned...and as it shows in your work as well.  Great job!

19 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Excellent work Templehound. If you don't mind my asking, what finish do you use on the leather? 

Thanks DASwulf! 

Actually there is no finish on the handle in the common sense.

I ground to grit 240 with no handsanding on the leather, just on the fittings I handsanded with grit 320 a little bit, getting the tiny facettes out.

I had the result that, the finer I handsanded the leather, the less homogeneous it looked.

then impregnated it with several coatings of hot bees wax.

I squeezed and massaged the handle until the knife cooled down, wiped off the wax from the fittings, and it looked good.

Ground color of the leather was dark gray.

17 hours ago, gmbobnick said:

The Puukko is legendary and it appears you have honored it well.  What a superb tool.  It will teach a person to make small, sure cuts and no rash moves, as it sounds like you learned...and as it shows in your work as well.  Great job!

Thank You very much gmbobnick!