I Forge Iron

Collaboration blanks round 4

TheoRockNazz

Heya guys,

You know what time it is! Let me know if any of these blanks interest you and we'll get them into your hands.

pmz6f8Fg.jpgpmz6f8Fg.jpg

80CrV2, already heat treated. Has a fun lanyard hole/loop that'll provide an extra challenge. A customer already has their eye on this one - I would need you to finish it and slap my provided micarta on. We will agree on how to divide profits privately. Email at TheoRockNazz@gmail.com. TheoRockNazz.com

74KkLr6g.jpg

62aBfFfg.jpg

1095 fighter, already heat treated. Can be bought outright or percentage of final sales (email for specifics)

Mbb0f2Yg.jpg

Ku9HIF9g.jpg

80CrV2 cleaver/chopper... clopper?..cheaver? Already head treated. Has inverted distal taper. Can be bought outright or percentage of final sales (email for specifics)

iVfBHFxg.jpg

8Xth5img.jpg

1095 thick chef's knife, heat treated with temper line. Can be bought outright or percentage of final sales (email for specifics)

DG9dN2Vg.jpg

• 3 months later...

Progress on #4 chef's knife. Finally getting time to put more work into this. Having all kinds of fun grinding the blade. 80 grit, 120 grit, 220 grit, back to 120 'cuz some 80 grit scratches hadn't been removed. Work up to 320, back to 220 'cuz 2 120 scratches still showing on one side. But I'm learning blade grinding. And learning I need some 180 grit belts. The jump from 120 to 220 is just too much.

Here are some pics of the blade. A piece of birdseye maple roughed out for the main part of the handle. And a sketch I did at the start of the project as to what I envisioned creating. We'll see if I can actually pull it off.

Thanks again Theo for the opportunity. I'm having fun with it, and learning a lot.

IMG_3005.JPG

IMG_3006.JPG

IMG_3007.JPG

KSD.jpg

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread.

Theo, I haven't put this blade project aside, though it may have seemed that way. I've been working on it steadily. The design I came up with has been a long steep learning curve to achieve, but I feel like I'm getting close. I had to build two high temp ovens - one for doing the wax (resin) burnout and the other to melt the brass for the guard and pins. Then I bought a 3D printer (filament type) with the idea of printing the guard and pins with a wax filament. Then I had to learn how to create the parts in a CAD program and get them to the printer. Had to modify the filament feeder and the firmware to print with the wax filament. Then it just wasn't high enough resolution for the details in the design. So I found a new kind of 3D printer that prints with resin and has the resolution to capture the details. Bought that. Then I had to learn how to operate it. Then I had to find a castable resin that worked with this printer, AND learn how to get successful prints with that (that alone took three months). Now I'm working on learning the sprueing of the patterns, investment casting, and burnout to get successful casts in brass. I'm getting there. I've been learning a lot and when I'm done I'll have my tools and the process in place to make more knives. So again, I thank you Theo for the opportunity to finish your knife and learn so much.

Here are my latest castings - blade guard and pins. So now I'm on to getting the wood pieces fitted to the tang, solder the blade guard on, then drill the holes for the pins, and assemble the handle. Shouldn't take me much more than another year! LOL (Hopefully not that long.) :o

IMG_3146.JPG

Thanks ! The 3D printing just amazes me every time I print something. And that resin printer has resolution to 2 microns, so it turns out nice smooth, detailed patterns "at home, in your spare time" LOL!

On the pin sprue tree, you can see the vertical pins in the center. They are like the Corby rivets - one side threads into the other. My 3D printer was even able to print the threads, inside and out. I'll have to clean them up with a tap and die, but that's not bad for a home variety 3D printer.

Stay tuned...more progress to come.

$519US for the printer. The resins can range from $25 to about $150 per 500ml depending on brand and type. FEP film can be bought in rolls for $15.22 per foot for 24" width. The printer needs a piece of FEP about 5" x 7", replaced about every 100 prints. I can't even guess how many prints per 500ml of resin. Too many variables.