I Forge Iron

Touchmark/Makers Mark stamps?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How did you all make your touch marks?? I am interested in making one myself. Always nice to differentiate your work from others and maybe find it again years later. Also its kind of like leaving a bit of yourself with the piece or something like that lol.

Drako11.... I cut the hammer shape freehand with a zip disk, then used reverse-letter stamps (individual letter stamps) to put my initials in it. Reverse-letter stamps can be ordered individually or in sets (just Google for them, I don't recall who I ordered them from).

I used a quality chisel (end cut off) to make the tool. I cut the hammer symbol with the tool cold, then heated the end in my forge to stamp in the letters (after which I heat treated it the same as a chisel).

Edited by djhammerd

Drako,
I had mine made from a stamp-maker.
It took a while to find but I finally found one near me who offered a good price. There was an initial design layout cost as well as the cost of the stamps, but the good part is that they keep my layout on file and any future stamps I need will not be charged the layout cost, only the cost of the new stamp.
Good luck in making your touch mark.
Sam

I made my own Characters and Wally Hayes carved them out for me.

They represent..

Wildertools
Rick Marchand

The top mark is a combination of the "W" and "T" from Wildertools and the bottom one is the "R" and "M" from Rick Marchand.

It has an Oriental look that I like.

Rick

16639.attach

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

How did you all make your touch marks?? I am interested in making one myself. Always nice to differentiate your work from others and maybe find it again years later. Also its kind of like leaving a bit of yourself with the piece or something like that lol.

you can make a touch mark by taking a 1/2" allen head bolt and cutting the head off so you have a hollow hex " washer" mark a piece of heavy stock (maybe 1/2" thick by 1 1/2" )
with your design small enough to see it through the hex "washer, weld the washer over the design. Take a 1/2" allen wrench and cut off the bend, heat the end of said wrench and beat it into the design this will take several heats but will result in your touch mark
I will post mine later today

I'm gonna forge out 4 special punches, with the biggest being 3/4ths inch longways, stamp them in order into a chunk of 1/2 inch plate, then use that as a master by taking a 1 in. Dia. chunk of hex stock and heatin 'n beatin that into the impression.

I don't know how i screwed this post up, but here is my touch mark, recently made using the method described below
this time i had to make my own hex, couldn't find 1/2" allen wrench in the drawer

you can make a touch mark by taking a 1/2" allen head bolt and cutting the head off so you have a hollow hex " washer" mark a piece of heavy stock (maybe 1/2" thick by 1 1/2" )
with your design small enough to see it through the hex "washer, weld the washer over the design. Take a 1/2" allen wrench and cut off the bend, heat the end of said wrench and beat it into the design this will take several heats but will result in your touch mark the reason for the hex "washer" is to assure you get into the same position with each heat

post-12486-0-52344000-1293708221_thumb.j

• 1 year later...