I Forge Iron

Help with anvil ID

My empirical observation in an industrial setting or for those who occasion to play guitar, is that the Sinister have an advantage over their manual-dominant opposites, in that 'we' are forced to adapt to a clockwise-biased world: By necessity training our recessive quadrants, whilst the majority pay theirs no never mind, and generally, but not exclusively, of course have no need nor desire to do the same.

That's 1:42 a.m. talk on the U.S. West Coast.

Good morning.

Robert Taylor

• 1 year later...

Is there a way to tell by measurements of the anvil what it's weight is?  I  believe I have a dual-hardy Soderfors as it looks like what I am seeing in these pictures but I am not able to read anything on the side of it.

Welcome aboard Willie glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance.

While it's possible to estimate weight with measurements there are a lot of curves to make it a PITA to get an accurate volume. Of course you can rig a tank and calculate by displacement but I'm lazy I use a bathroom scale, they're usually good up into the 300 lb. range and if it's not enough a board between two scales right next to each other will push the limit int the 600 lb.+ range. Subtract the weight of the board if you want to be picky about a couple few lbs. :rolleyes:

Whatever you do, post pics of your anvil! I'm a huge fan of Soderfors anvils, best on Earth. 

Frosty The Lucky.