I Forge Iron

Free scrap discovery and identification

Today was my lucky day!

I visited a small scrap yard while collecting a few trinkets and the owner gave them to me for free! :D

Anyway, here is all that I took:

scrap.thumb.JPG.ffadc135f90e445d3d78ba6c7e77145f.JPG

The shiny rod is threaded and is not simple carbon steel, according to the spark test I made. (Much fewer sparks than simple carbon steel.) Stainless steel?
What kind of steel is the leaf spring most likely to be? It looks like medium carbon steel (could be between medium and high carbon steel) from the sparks.

tool.thumb.JPG.6737d6a29a1a5f8e17c1c4f7396c0998.JPG

I can see the letters "CNR". Do you know what it means?
What is a pickaxe?

high_carbon.thumb.jpg.0751f271df7fcc801e6df3f08a58fe03.jpg

I can see "10LC". Is it the name of the steel or is it something else?
It sparks a lot with the grinder so it seems to be high carbon steel.

If you think you know something, I'll be glad to hear it!

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:46 AM, Xavier F-C said:

That seems reasonable considering I live near the St. Lawrence River.

I too am from the St. Lawrence region, though on the NY side. My home town is about 30 minutes away from the T.I. Bridge.

Hi Xavier,

Nice score for free!

Have you tried a magnet on the shiny threaded rod? If it's not magnetic or just a very little, it's austenitic stainless. If it's magnetic and the sparks are short, reddish, and not bursting into stars it can be ferritic stainless. If you see stars at the ends of the sparks it can be the 420 like martensitic stuff. (The thread - I think - makes the austenitic the most possible.)

Leaf springs are mostly in the 0,5-0,6 % carbon content range with some moderate quantities of other alloying elements (like Si, V, Cr).

Bests:

Gergely

I wish I could help you more but I can't really. This may be the 420 type martensitic stainless - the sparks look like it a little. Although there are way too many uncertain things to say it straight. Try to forge it, go for the hardening test: air - oil - water. Then you will have all the info you're able to get from scrap steel :)

Bests:

Gergely

I quenched the rod in water and it hardened, without any cracks. My test file could not bite it.

I tempered it to a bronze-purple color and the test file could bite it, but just a little.

I have not done any other test.