I Forge Iron

New England Blacksmiths swage block polished and ready for use.

jlpservicesinc

8 hours ago, Jbradshaw said:

Any updates on the stand? I picked one of these up last week, but haven't gotten it home yet (vacationing in Maine). I'm already thinking about how to put it to use when I get home and first step is a stand. I can't think of a good solution to make each surface (sides, edges and ends)  useable in a single stand.

Did Bob give you the shop tour when you visited him in Portland?  They recently built twelve tire hammers in there in a weekend workshop.  It was like $1400 out the door.  So annoyed I couldn't afford it.

On August 24, 2017 at 6:59 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

I have just been to busy to deal with  a stand and really the main problem is I have no room in the trailer.. the block sits on the work bench and when I designed the work bench I designed it for pounding on.. 

If you are hot to get a move on, let me know.. I'll draw it up.. 

No rush. I hope to work on it next weekend, but no telling if that will happen. Kids.

I have a good idea what to do to get two of three planes (four of six?) usable and at the same height, just not the third (5&6?). Worst case I end up with the ends elevated when they are used. 

21 hours ago, Lou L said:

Did Bob give you the shop tour when you visited him in Portland?  They recently built twelve tire hammers in there in a weekend workshop.  It was like $1400 out the door.  So annoyed I couldn't afford it.

I had a look around, but not an official tour. Our local forge master attended the tire hammer workshop. I would have liked to go too but I don't have the space. Currently working out of a one car garage that I have to be able to move everything so it can still be used for its original intended purpose.

I'm in the same boat.  I'm in a two car garage but one side really could never fit a car and both sides are filled with everything but cars.  I'm waiting on the new shed to have some space.  Then I will be co tasting Bob to find out if the last tire hammer has found a home.  Technically I can afford it, in my opinion, because my son is going into kindergarten so we don't have those day care costs anymore.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, JHCC said:

I can vouch for this. 

It will be cleared out again, soon I hope!  Every time I clear that garage someone we know feels it in the air and dumps more stuff on us.  At least the last time it was a snow blower.  The time before that it was 75 boxes of junk from the in-laws...

• 3 months later...
On 10/28/2017 at 1:14 PM, Lou L said:
On 10/28/2017 at 9:19 AM, JHCC said:
On 8/26/2017 at 12:22 AM, Lou L said:

I'm in a two car garage but one side really could never fit a car and both sides are filled with everything but cars.

I can vouch for this. 

It will be cleared out again, soon I hope!  

Update: still true.