I Forge Iron

New England Blacksmiths swage block polished and ready for use.

jlpservicesinc

2 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Picked me up a new swage block for the trailer at the last NEB meet.. 170.00 weighs about 70lbs..  Took about 2 hrs to get all the bowl making areas polished up.. 

Looks good.....care to share what you used to polish it up?   Thanks ......     Life is Good                Dave

14 hours ago, Judson Yaggy said:

Nicest looking NEB block I've ever seen!

Ah shucks.. :) 

14 hours ago, John in Oly, WA said:

So that looks like it's for making bowls, spoons and fireplace (coal) shovels?

Yes, and it has round on the sides and square on the ends.. Also has one side that all the corners are rounded/radiused and the other side is square cornered.. Didn't realize that till I started to radius all the corners.. OOPs.. I was like what??????

14 hours ago, Daswulf said:

That's a beauty of a block! I'd love one of those.

Not sure if you have to be a member or not to buy from the group..  But think for the money it can't be beat..  It's small enough to have in the trailer but well made enough for serious work..  The only slot I think it's missing is a half oval for shaping handles in.. Something I will have to fix later as there is a blank spot on one end.. I'll hav eto make a stand for it... http://newenglandblacksmiths.com/

12 hours ago, Dave51B said:

Looks good.....care to share what you used to polish it up?   Thanks ......     Life is Good                Dave

I used  a die grinder with small grinder points 1" balls.. Then used a mini grinder disk Rolock in the die grinder, then scotchbrite rolock.. 

Was nice to meet you at the green coal...  did you get to make anything or just watch?

A swage block can come in really handy and since t his one has just about all the rounds one needs it could save one a lot of time and money instead of swages for the anvil..

Did you end up with the drill press?

Thanks nice to meet you too, I made a spoon on Friday using one of the NEB's swage block's of course. Sadly I didn't end up with the drill press. I almost have enough for the swage block just gotta wait until I have a little bit more money. Can't wait:D

Wow that is nice, now I have to work on mine when the opportunity knocks. Please show the stand when you get it done.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:22 PM, Daswulf said:

That's a beauty of a block! I'd love one of those.

They ship out od Portland ME. 

I believe they sell to the world but at a slightly higher cost, difference in cost I think is the amount of membership!  and with a membership they will receive NEBs super newsletters.  Right Judson?

Appreciate the invite to come out. It would be my pleasure to meet some of you out there from on here. And that it is. I've been meaning to get out to Lancaster, just that life can get in the way of travels. Otherwise I'd do it a lot more. Soon as I know when and where I'll do my best to try to make it.

Guess I need to get a die grinder to do mine in one go.  So far I have only cleaned up the sections I've needed to use because it is a pain to clean up.  You did an amazing job!  

I used small grinding bits and sanding wheels on my RotoZip combined with some hand filing.  It would take me days to clean it up all beautiful the way you did.  Great swage block though.

I second the call for an update on the stand you build.  Thanks for setting the standard high.

Standard high..  Insanity is my middle name.. Thanks

If you have a rotor zip with a 1/4" collet you would have a die grinder right in your hand. just bulky.  

They also sell an 1/8" hand wand for certain models while the stones are smaller it would still work.. Just take longer.. I had one of the original Bosch rotozips with variable speed and trigger control. It was awesome.. For some reason it just stopped working and bought a Craftsman kit.. Not nearly as nice as the Bosch but it gets the job done.. 

If you have a compressor a 90degree one is a good way to go.. Also I wouldn't buy an inexpensive one as the amount of power on the higher priced models is pretty amazing and the less costly models can leave you feeling like you need more..   I used to use them for doing die work and porting and polishing of high performance engines..    If you don't have air..   The variable speed electric ones work very well. . Just larger in size.. 

Will do.. 

Well, I have the old RZ5 rotozip with the 1/8" flexible wand as well.  I was NOT in love with the pace at which I was cleaning out the shovel swage.  Honestly can't remember if I tried out the stones or if I only used the sanding wheels.  All I remember was fantasizing about slamming a flapwheel attached to an angry grinder into those crevices until I didn't hate them anymore.  I just might have some patience issues....

I think I'm going to head out into the shop and work on that block this evening!  Thanks again.

• 2 months later...

Any updates on the stand? I picked one of these up last week, but haven't gotten it home yet (vacationing in Maine). I'm already thinking about how to put it to use when I get home and first step is a stand. I can't think of a good solution to make each surface (sides, edges and ends)  useable in a single stand.

I have just been to busy to deal with  a stand and really the main problem is I have no room in the trailer.. the block sits on the work bench and when I designed the work bench I designed it for pounding on.. 

If you are hot to get a move on, let me know.. I'll draw it up..