I Forge Iron

Stiletto or Misericorde Forged Short Sword

ripleycopa

This Saturday in the Tom Kennon Blacksmith Shop I did an up scaled version of the naked pineapple twist that I used for the first time the Saturday before last when I made a letter opener out of 3/8 inch square stock. This week's project was a version of a short sword (stylistically a misericorde or stiletto) out of 3/4 inch square stock. It took a lot of hammer work to draw out and taper the conical blade to a point. Here are some pictures of the finished project along with some closeups of the handle and blade. The guard was 5/16 round stock inserted through a drilled hole in the handle and then forge welded. The twist was a standard pineapple twist without any chisel lines scored prior to twisting and reverse twisting.

IMG_8998.JPG

IMG_8997.JPG

IMG_8996.JPG

IMG_8995.JPG

I did research the blade shape on Wiki and noticed the entry on estoc or tuck, but it did not have a photograph that I could compare it with the stiletto. You may be right in that my blade and handle are a bit too long.

The problem is that "short sword" is too long for a stiletto or misericord and too short for an estoc.  But as stiletto/misericord are daggers an so never longer the closest I could come up with is a broken off estoc/tuck (Or you are trying to put a medieval name to something that is not medieval...)

Actually, the blade was of secondary consideration to the handle twist. But the precise name was at best a guess; more of what it wasn't than any surety as to what it was in terms of medieval derivation. Probably from my vague memories of 50's swashbucklers where a swordsman would have a long foil or epee in one hand and something like what I forged in the less dominant hand.