I Forge Iron

What should i use to create a decent forge?

heyo, we are new members and just starting out. we were wondering what would be better to make a forge out of, an air compressor or a water tank heater? we have two water tank heaters and one larger air compressor. we have a friend who has some spare fire brick, so we were planning to use some in our forge as well if that affects your answers. any ideas?

Welcome aboard B1 and PAT A TOE(?) Now there's a hobby.:rolleyes: If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance. 

If you want to make a propane forge lose the bricks unless you have time and fuel$ to spend making bricks hot. If you'll spend some timme reading in the gas forge section of Iforge it'll give you a good idea of what you're wanting to build. What you're proposing for the forge shell is WAY too big. No surprise there, we all built WAY TOO LARGE forges till we discovered what we really needed. The ones you see on Forged In Fire are a LOT bigger than  most folk need.

Hook up with the blacksmith organization in your area. If you meet up with local blacksmiths they might give you time using their forges, tools, etc. That will give you some knowledge and experience BEFORE you start building equipment. Almost all of us have made the mistake of building what we THOUGHT was a perfect piece of equipment or tool without knowing how to use it or what we preferred.

Honest, it's as normal as milk on cereal.

Frosty The Lucky.

Depends. What are you trying to do? Do you want to burn gas? Solid fuel? Oil? Induction? Corncobs? 

What kind of work do you want to do? Architectural gratings? Forks and spoons? Monumental sculpture?

Most importantly: HAVE YOU ACTUALLY READ THE SECTIONS OF THE FORUM THAT DESCRIBE DIFFERENT KINDS OF FORGES AND HOW TO BUILD THEM?

Basically, you're asking us, "I want a car. Should I get a Ferrari, a Honda, or a dump truck?" Well, it depends on what you need and what you want to do.

I see that this is your first post, so please get yourself a cooler of your favorite beverages and snacks, settle in, and read every blessed thing on IFI that grabs your fancy. You will find that almost any question you can think of has been discussed already, and if it hasn't, at least you'll know a lot more about the questions you really need to ask.

(You will also find that there are a large number of curmudgeons who are always more than happy to answer an informed question, but who have little patience with people who won't bother to do some basic research first. Trust me, you want to stay on their good side.)

Happy reading!