Jasent

Jasen's smithing progression.

I grabbed these due to how narrow and long the head is. I like my handeled struck tools to have thicker cheeks than the hammers plus they were about $6 each so I bought several. I like the machinist handles for hammers. More of an oval shape

Well the landlord has turned on me. Wants the smithy gone unless I buy a shed and put it on the worst place possible for safety or convenience.  Can't seem to see eye to eye on anything. Can't hardly wait till this lease is up!  

So im moving the smithy back out to the farm. Will mean less time to forge but my brother is showing interest and wants to setup a metal shop in his shop. So I'll be able to forge out of the weather and not have to call it a day when is too dark to see.  Plus I may have a striker from time to time.  

Got all of my stuff moved to the farm. This is going to be my lil corner. Got started on my anvil stand today. Little more cutting and a little clean up and it should be ready to weld.  Planning a hood for the forge to help draw out exhaust. Not a sealed shop as it has 3 sides but still like to expel as much as I can

image.jpeg

Got my forge moved to the farm. My brother wanted to strike so we started drifting one of my practice hammers. Almost finished when I ran out of fuel. Was a fun day! Spring steel drift did ok. Took a few bad blows but not too bad

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It's an unknow steel I picked up at the scrap yard.  It does not harden but it dosent forge very easy either. Spark test looks low to med carbon but I could not get it to break on the snap test but it took all I had to bend it.  This is why I call it the practice hammer. 1 3/4" hex bar