I Forge Iron

Jasen's smithing progression.

Jasent

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made my first chisel from the coil spring to finish off my hardy a bit deeper . After normalizing 3x Brought it back up to critical and Quenched in peanut oil then cleaned up one side real quick with a file and watched the colors run slowly

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Good Morning Jasent,

Coil Spring is OK sometimes, for some jobs. Cold Chisels are normally made from W-1, W = water quench. If you find your Chisel tip is not standing up to your abuse, harden in water, quench to straw. Quenching in Oil does not make it as hard as in water.

I know, it is what I had and I wanted to try it!!! Good Luck.

Neil

Oh now your just twisting the subject before you flip us for a loop. 

You could use a wood hammer over a stump to straighten the length of the twist areas out hot so you won't hammer mark up the twists. Even if just using a smaller chunk of wood as the hammer.  On smaller twists I'll often use the vise jaws to pinch an area straight. 

I did straighten the last one on a stump some as I remember TP talking about doing that. But I don't have a wood hammer yet. I'll try using a hunk of wood like you said.    I have used my vice to straighten before but it sucks the heat out fast on this little stock. All the steak flippers started life as a nail salvaged from a rail tie wall we tore out at work. I think part of the bending problem is I'm twisting with a crescent wrench. I need to weld a handle on it to use 2 hands. Maybe I just need to forge some twisting wrenches. 

image.jpeg

Simple wood mallet. You'll need a saw, an old junk hammer handle/ broomstick whatever, even a stick, a chunk of 2x4 or thicker pallet wood or even a smaller log cutoff round 3" or so dia. A wood drill just under the size of the handle wood and a knife to trim up the handle. 

Boom done. In a few minutes you have a wood mallet. You can even get fancy with it. Made this one in about 5 minutes including finding the stuff to make it that were laying around. I'll fancy it up later.... Maybe. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wooden baseball bats are on my pick them up if they're cheap enough list even though I already have something like 9-10. As is they make fine thwockers but cut a section off for the head and whatever you like from the handle for the handle and they make excellent mallets. 

Little league, high school, etc. teams go through bats and are a good source, I get hockey sticks for set hammer handles from the ice rink dumpster, called that one good enough at a dozen. One trip after a game.

Frosty The Lucky.

Just shows that there is only one right way to do things, Any way that Works! What is available to you? How can you make it work for what you need? Some things are specific but many can be "things" to get the job done. As elaborate or not as you want.

man ya'll are making my peice of firewood I use feel bad hahaha...Nice mallet Jasent.

Littleblacksmith