I Forge Iron

Jasen's smithing progression.

Jasent

Good luck to you Randell 

today I started working on my striking anvil. Got some practice hammer stock cut and almost got my hardy finished. I was going to drift it square but with the rain hammering down I wasn't going to get much done so I broke out the cold chisel and file and went to work. Little more work and it will be done.  Now I'm cold, wet, and tired. 

image.jpeg

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll post a pic when I finish a pair! So far I have a bunch of weird shaped sides that don't fit together. Tomorrow is a forge day though, so fingers crossed!

Ah, we keep offering the lessons we learned from our mistakes so you don't have to repeat them yourself. The reason yours aren't turning out might be some simple little thing you just need pointed out. 

Hmmmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

You could be on to something there. 

Got my post vice mounted last weekend. Been a busy week for me at work. Doing the 2nd half of a 2600' paver job. So I haven't had time to play much. I did get a handled slitter started but ran out of propane right as I got the hole punched out

image.jpeg

Still working on a handled slitter to save my wrists from the heat while splitting the reins on my tongs. 

Punched the head and upsetting the handle in the eye. May try a wrapped handle on the next one if I don't like this one. 

image.jpeg

@JHCC that is the type handle I plan to use.   I have done that in the past but had trouble getting it tight on the punch tho I used an extra wrap around the punch which I think was causing too much friction and I couldn't get the slack out.   Probably also the reason I tried something different this last time.   Thanks for sharing that

This last rodded handle was a good teacher for me. I found I had good success doing the handle in two heats: one to wrap and one to fit. On the first heat, I got the stock to a nice orange, did the double-wrap around the head (clamped firmly in the vise), and then allowed it to cool to black. Pulling the two parts of the handle apart opened up the coil just enough to slip it over the head, and then back in to the fire. On the second heat, I tightened up the wrap just a bit, and then twisted the two parts of the handle together. If I were doing a ton of these, I'd probably be doing the whole thing in one heat, but this worked pretty well.

Slitter works great. I may still fuller a groove for my Handel wrap but it works very well. Started another set of tongs. Cleaned up my steak flipper and realized I burnt it. Didn't think my forge was getting that hot but apparently it is. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Went to the hammer in at Morgan-Jade iron works this morning. Then stopped by the scrap yard and got some materials for the anvil stands and then came home and punched a hammer head. It's not perfect but I'm happy with it.  I learned a lot on this one. Keeping my punch cool helps it come out much easier. hit, quench, spin 180, hit ,quench, spin 180, hit ,quench, spin. 

Will be making my drift when the O1 shows up. 

This is an unknown steel and will be my "soft" hammer for striking hardened steel when I need to

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Good Job Jasent. Punching hammers by my self in one of my favorite things to do.

Littleblacksmith 

Well I finially got my "anvil" mounted on a stump. No more forging sitting down. Much better than before! I was not sitting at the right height and getting a heel hit instead of a flat hit. I'll band it before I work it but it took a lot to just lift it on to the ponderosa pine stump. This thing weighs as much as I do(260lbs).  Should be much better working it this way!  Got the supply's for my striking anvil stand. Just need to cut and take it out to the farm to weld it up

image.jpeg

image.jpeg