I Forge Iron

Jasen's smithing progression.

Jasent

Got my regulator repaired and forge plumbed up. Still waiting on refractory but I just couldn't wait so I I fired it up. 10 psi was plenty even in the 20 mph wind. Got a flutter once with a hard gust so I turned it up to 13 psi and no burps.   Even with the heavy wind.   Got another burner built yesterday. Going to build a larger forge for big projects this winter. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Jason. You don't know what a kick it is to see someone make a T sing so sweetly. I was always happy they worked well enough, I was aiming for easy to build with minimum tools and shop skills. The more of you guys that actually take the time to tinker with a purpose the better they're working. Mine aren't stable in almost any breeze at any psi. The T driven NARB being an exception but it's the only propane burner I've done much tinkering with in years. 

It is good to see you get that kind of performance from a T burner. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Make a set and sell them as hurricane tent stakes. I have to say though, it's really hard to believe you like that big heavy old anvil better than a petite easy to move around rail anvil. So accounting for taste I guess. :P

I'll bet that's good to work on, you didn't make it bounce did you? 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with the barely twist. I'll have to look in to it. 

Frosty  I'm not worried about impressing the ladies. This one is for me. Plus I like to hammer down the points a bit my self.  

I've broke 2 sets of tongs in 3 days so my next projects will be tongs. Round bit and some pick up tongs

Well after trials and many errors I have finished my 7th set of tongs.  They hold very well and feel good in the hand tho I did make some mistakes. Got my V a little to one side and that caused plenty off issues getting them to line up so I ended up hammering them flat and trying to form them around 1/2" round.   The jaws don't look pretty but they do hold very well.  I learned a lot on these and think my next set will be much much better. I like this style. Slitting is much faster than drawing out! This started as 1"X5/16" flat bar.  I saw this demo on wcb"s YouTube Chanel 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ah. Well, looks aren't the important thing for me right now. Nobody sees my tongs but me! I just want to successfully forge a decent pair. Murphy loves me, and thinks my tong attempts are especially hilarious.

HEY! That better not mean you aren't going to post pics of them! Check out the tongs in the Mastermyr find, they're pretty simple and effective. 

Shoulders are the perfect place for your Sweety to lay her head at the movies.

Frosty The Lucky.