Jasent

Jasen's smithing progression.

30 posts in this topic

Thank you Thomas for the clarification.  I wasn't sure.

He made it  before I was born. Prob early to mid 70's. I'm looking forward to putting it back in service

Dressed up grandpas handled hot cut and made one more for my striking "anvil" (cast steel tractor weight) from 1 3/16" axel.  Did all the work on my vertical rail anvil except upsetting in the modified hardy. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

thinking I need to build a wind block for the forge till I can get a shop built. Few bricks helped but not ideal!

image.jpeg

On 6/2/2017 at 9:09 PM, ThomasPowers said:

I was wondering about starting with a ring of steel.  Forge welded or sourced that way. Or flatten the ends a bit and roll into a nice little cylinder on the end. Or trimmed and then ground smooth and rounded. Or...

I did one like that once, with one of a bunch of steel rings that a friend picked up somewhere. I wasn't too happy with how it came out, but I really should go back and try again (especially now that I have a proper vise to help with the twisting). I think a round cross-section would look better twisted, too.

IMG_20160220_212052854.jpg

4 hours ago, JHCC said:

I did one like that once, with one of a bunch of steel rings that a friend picked up somewhere. I wasn't too happy with how it came out, but I really should go back and try again (especially now that I have a proper vise to help with the twisting). I think a round cross-section would look better twisted, too.

Hmm I may have to try that some time.  I have some washers like that