I Forge Iron

Jasen's smithing progression.

Jasent

The one is a chunk of torsion bar I upset for mass on the top then forged to fit in the hardy hole and ground the spoon shape on the upset top to help in making the bowl part more even around the edge. 

The other is just a block of steel I fround out to use in place of a stump for dishing. That one could still use a little work but it helps. They are not really form fit or anything to use as a top and bottom together but something like that could be made. ( I might one day.) 

Oh yeah, and my forge spoon. :) The bowl is 5" long by 2 5/8" wide. It was kind of like making a spatula but dished out. Love it for working the fire and cleaning the fire pot up before starting it. Scoops out the clinker fairly well. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had my first successful forge weld yesterday. Using some med-high Carbon stock.  After the first initial taps and the second heat I heard this loud snap sound and it was stuck! Took two more heats to clean it up then tested it in the vice.  Then I folded a file and my first weld stuck good and I again heard this loud slap/snap sound. Then I tried to fold it and weld again and I think I burnt it cause it broke in peaces. I could see that my second weld didn't take but the first one was good.  What's up with this sound I'm hearing when the weld sticks???

Air trapped either in the weld or under the object and between the anvil face..

Congrats..  that is a great start..

Not to belittle you but more from a historical reference..  anybody can forge weld and anybody can forge weld when it's the first clean weld....

Where the chaf gets separated from the wheat is with the next welding attempts.  If you don't clean and prep properly on the second welds then the failure rate will be pretty high..

This is where the domain of experience comes in as then you know what to look for without all the hubbub of removing all the scale and flux to start with totally clean materials..

There are some steps that would help..  files are tough to weld unless you remove all the teeth..  each tooth is a chance for inclusions..

I'll post a picture of a rasp billet I started.. later.. you can see why it can become a problem if not addressed..

Forged a new handled punch today from 4"X1" round h13 and finished my brothers buoy knife. 11 1/4" x2" blade made from spring steel. Hickory handle with copper pins and a strip at the  Guard.   He wanted it rough.  i like the drop point. Feels great in the hand. Indexes well and hacked threw a 3 1/2" apple tree branch like it was green maple. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Naw those have handles made such that they will float if dropped in the water, and serrations for rope cutting.

Though the "Mark with a Buoy" definition could apply interestingly...

I've long thought CRS uses a voice writer; though one programed in another language---perhaps  Dothraki?

And your welcome to stop buy, I’ll sett a place at the table for you and the missus. But alas I don’t use a voice writer. 

Thanks for the kind words, Jasent. TP is among those who patently helped me.  Honestly my spelling disability usually leads not to the amusement and good natured ribbing I reserve here but to predudice and the assumption that I am stupid. Surprise.

Not a strong correlation---I got a 770 out of 800 on the english section of the SATs and my spelling is sub-abysmal!  I often spend more time making corrections than in typing a post and it's only by the spelling check of my browser that I'm comprehendable at all  Perhaps that's why I go in for word play as so many words can be spelled the same way as far as my brain is concerned.

• 2 months later...

Thank you

Worked in the shop yesterday. Felt good swinging a hammer again.  April was a very tough month for me.   My girl friends rig was stolen, went from living in a mobile home to now living in a small cabin. My family owns a trailer park, they offer to sell me one of the trailers that was supposed to be empty by April 1st. Well that didn’t happen( big miss understanding) and didn’t find out till after I had already submitted in writing me moving out of the place we lived.  One huge emotional roller coaster.  Now we are settled in, smithy is at the new home and I can finally breathe. 

Working on some wall hooks last night. Started working on a dragon head coat hook. Still not finished with it but the lady loves it.  I believe it is wrought iron but it must be super refined as I can’t get it to etch any pattern. Sure is nice to work with though.  Every once in a while it does get a delamination in a tiny spot. Scales up super heavy but oh so nice under the hammer! Will post pics later on