I Forge Iron

Proper Way To Insulate Gas Forge?

Cyrilak

Hello all, I am going to start building my forge and I am just finishing ordering everything, I have a few questions about insulation.  From what I have read, it seems like using ceramic wool is the easiest way to insulate a gas forge, I know it needs to be replaced once in a while because it wears down.  Is it best to have 2" of insulation? And are you supposed to line the wool with refractory cement? Or just use straight wool? I know the stuff is bad for your lungs and I was wondering if it lets particles off in the air while it's burning. I plan on laying fire bricks on the very bottom of my forge. Thanks in advance.

No bricks; nix the bricks!!!

Ceramic wool is not your easiest choice; its the most practical choice.

Use two inches, but lay it down in two 1" layers, for best results. Mix up fumed silica or buy silica rigidizer to treat each layer with with; and heat each layer SEPARATELY.

Then you are ready to think of your hot face finish coat. Refractory is fine, and other coatings are also fine; you can do a little digging to unearth what they might be.

"From what you have read"? I believe building a double lined forge has been gone over to death right here. Read a LITTLE more, 1% of what's posted would answer all your forge build questions many times over.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you those of you that actually helped

4 hours ago, Mikey98118 said:

No bricks; nix the bricks!!!

Ceramic wool is not your easiest choice; its the most practical choice.

Use two inches, but lay it down in two 1" layers, for best results. Mix up fumed silica or buy silica rigidizer to treat each layer with with; and heat each layer SEPARATELY.

Then you are ready to think of your hot face finish coat. Refractory is fine, and other coatings are also fine; you can do a little digging to unearth what they might be.

Why not put bricks on the bottom?

Mostly, you will find a coice between hard firebrick, which has nearly zero insulation value, and insulting firebricks which cannot stand up from the rapid thermal cycling forges go through; they rapidly crack and crumble away.

Of course, there are in between bricks that are somewhat tough and somewhat insulating, if you are willing to do the research...