I Forge Iron

Odd anvil references

My wife picked up a book "Thinning the Herd, Tales of the Weirdly Departed" that is composed of paragraph long blurbs on odd demises.

Two which involve anvils were:

"In the mid 1980's, Vladmir Boronov, a blacksmith from Irkutsk, Russia, found an old artillery shell left over from the war, and used it as an anvil for more than ten years. He was blown to bits one day when his hammer hit the shell in just the right place.

Charles G. Stephens thought he had figured out why so many people had killed themselves going over Niagara Falls in a barrel: they didn't use a counterweight. So in the summer of 1920 Charles outfitted his barrel with an anvil, got inside and strapped himself in. The only part of Charles G. Stephens that was every found was his right arm, still inside the barrel.   (they don't say if the anvil is still somewhere under water!)

(Another reference says he strapped the anvil to his feet! And that it broke the bottom of the barrel on impact...)

Well my wife has been known to remind me "You gotta sleep sometime!" from time to time...

I'm running a bit slow today, about 3:45 in the morning I had a blood sugar low and got up to eat. The dogs wanted to go outside, my daughter's dog is visiting along with her, so I opened their dog cage's door and they erupted and the visiting dog took after the cat---who failed about 6 times to jump up on the kitchen counter in the space of about 2 seconds and finally made it and then jumped up on the top of the refrigerator and knocked all the stuff up there down.  Including an old enamel cowboy coffeepot---LARGE sized and the kerosene lantern kept there with the kitchen matches for power outages---so I can find and light it in the dark.

Lots of sturm and drang and hullabaloo.  My daughter woke up and helped bring order from chaos and I finally got to eat some carbs and get towards normal again.  My wife slept through it all including herding the dogs through our bedroom to the door out into the fenced yard.    Anyway after a bad low I feel like I have a hangover without the pleasure of the alcohol first.  Frosty could you type less forcefully I have a headache...

On 6/3/2017 at 3:56 AM, Charles R. Stevens said:

Jerry, you were "Lucky" the day Mr. Frost said "I do" and every day she hast said " I don't" ;-)

Yes sir! Luckiest day of my life.

On 6/3/2017 at 0:12 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Well my wife has been known to remind me "You gotta sleep sometime!" from time to time...

I'm running a bit slow today, about 3:45 in the morning I had a blood sugar low and got up to eat. The dogs wanted to go outside, my daughter's dog is visiting along with her, so I opened their dog cage's door and they erupted and the visiting dog took after the cat---

Our place has quieted down nicely since Julie picked up her dogs. We pet sit for friends and Julie's fit in well. Her  tiny chihuahua, Molecule is getting pretty old and spends most of their stays sleeping in my lap. Julie's new dog Vinny is a cinnamon colored miniature Daschund with separation anxiety issues so he wants to bully anybody out of  my lap. Fortunately Doxies are smart and he learned the house rules in a couple hours, still tested but stopped trying to push Moly, the cats, etc. off. I wouldn't let him even curl a lip and stay on my lap. Worked a charm. I let Moly growl when disturbed, she's earned the right.

Quiet enough Thomas? :)

Frosty The Lucky.  

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Anyway after a bad low I feel like I have a hangover without the pleasure of the alcohol first.  

Before I got my sleep apnea treated, my doctor said my level of sleep deprivation was giving me "all the debilitation of three shots of whiskey, and none of the fun."

• 1 month later...