I Forge Iron

Need belt recommendations

I know I have a few issues with my grinder I need to sort out, but I'm looking for recommendations for 400 -1000 grit belts, 2x72.

i use norton 46, 80 and 120. No problems at all.

My 220 and 400 belts are super thin and "bump" when grinding on the platen. These belts are so thin that they twist up all over themselves after you take them back off and hang them up. I think that's a lot of the issue.

My 600, 800 and 1000 belts bump a little bit but not as bad as the 220 and 400. The main problem I have with the 600 - 1000 is that they are the grey colored belts and they sometimes leave grey streaks on the metal and especially wood of a handle. 

Thanks in advance.

You're running them the right direction I assume. They are all Norton?

I don't have any helpful ideas beyond running them the right direction but I'm getting close to having my 2x72 up and running and am all ears regarding problems with belts. 

I didn't build it with the intention of making blades I just needed one that worked better than my old Rockwell 2x48 blades longer than a butter knife hit the motor. Anyway, that devil in disguise Theo got me to take one of his forged knife blanks so I guess I will need to pick up the full spectrum of belts. So, I'm watching for problem belts.

Frosty The Lucky.

Check out 3M trizact, also called "gator". They have a raised grit surface that almost looks like a tire tread. I have them in 1x42 (cuz I haven't acquired myself a 2x72 grinder yet) and they run very smooth. I've read those with 2x72s like them as well. They aren't meant for hogging off metal, but are well suited to finishing work. They are labeled in micron instead of grit, but most online stores list them by their equivalent grit.

Frosty, for belts, take a look at getting yourself ceramics for the lower grits (Norton Blaze and 3M cubitron are good). The alumina stuff just wears too easy in those grits and act poorly as they dull. Then I like the trizacts mentioned above for your higher grits. Depending how you want to finish the knife you don't necessarily need grits forever. I've been hand sanding for satin finishes, so I only go up to an a45 (400 grit). My belt steps are 60-120-a65(240)-a45(400) or a30(600), then I hand sand 320-400-600. The mirror polish guys I've read about using scotchbrite belts and buffing wheels. I have not tried that to give thoughts on steps.

Thanks Steve. Good stuff. 

Yes they are running the right direction and they're not Nortons. My low grits (up to 120)are Norton's and are plenty smooth.

this is the debone suggestion I've had for trizact so I ordered a couple.

will report back the results

14 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

even have a list of trusted suppliers 

Awesome Steve! Bookmarked that page. I did manage to find Pop's and True Grit. I think I am going to use Norton's out to 120 then I have ordered some Trizacts (A100, A65 and A45) then go to hand from there. I may order an A30 as well but I ordered a medium and a fine scotchbrite and am anxious to see what those do after reading a bunch of posts about them. The less hand sanding the better.