I Forge Iron

Finally got one

brickman

3 hours ago, Scrambler82 said:

Nice Vice, that one lower than I thought they usually do, I don't really know !

Also, looks like you are starting an Anvil collection ?

What do you mean? the mounting plate just slides :P

and i'm sure trying, have my peter wright, and that's the sodorfors on the ground i'm mounting soon. I cant wait to use it. I'm really trying to find a german style anvil now as well ;)

3 hours ago, Lionel h said:

Nice vise, get her mounted, start using it. Is it missing the spring ? I couldn't tell in the picture. 

Yeah it's missing the spring. Thats how i talked him down a lot in money. Little did he know i can forge one pretty easily from an old leaf spring that i have tons of sitting in a junkyard :P.. 

Yes that's one of my tips for finding postvises cheap.  The mounting stuff is pretty trivial to build and can lower a price substantially. In addition its hard to tell if a mount was "original" to a vise anyway as they got moved around a lot during 100 years or so of use.

7 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Yes that's one of my tips for finding postvises cheap.  The mounting stuff is pretty trivial to build and can lower a price substantially. In addition its hard to tell if a mount was "original" to a vise anyway as they got moved around a lot during 100 years or so of use.

yeah the mount actually looks original but the base mount definitely isn't (which is fine). It was machined out of what looks like 1/2 inch steel plate. i plan on making a hefty metal stand for this so i'll weld that bottom piece onto the base anyhow so i can just slide the vice in and out by taking off the top bolts. 

10 minutes ago, Scrambler82 said:

I didn't know that, I thought the upper "L" was blocking it, thanks for the lesson !

I missed a word in my post, "mounts" lower, not sure if I just had a brain cramp or my mind got ahead of my typing.

On the multiple Anvils, both look in good condition, I too like the German design, a horn on both ends, but they just look stout.

Ltr

The peter wright has some pitting on the face and is only 86lbs so its a little rough still to try to get a really smooth face on, but i love the anvil. The sodorfors on the ground is an immaculate face and edge minus just one spot where the farrier used the edge to set the clips on horseshoes where it has some chipping. I cant wait to get it up and mounted =D.. I really want a peddinghaus / refflinghaus ~250#+ german anvil.. I know it's way overkill but i think they're a beauty to look at even.. I'll have one someday =D