I Forge Iron

Have been fiddling with my home built gas forge for a few weeks now but always felt restricted by the anvil I had, just a cylinder of mild steel.

Took the plunge and got myself a nice little 75lb NC tool farriers anvil. Could not believe what a difference having a hardened face makes, not to mention a real hardy hole and all the other benefits.

So have been out in the yard just about every night after work hammering and playing and learning. Still a complete beginner at this but wanted to share a couple of pics of the output so far. Criticism will be taken with a smile, I have only been at this for a week 'for real' so no great expectations at this stage.

Thanks for looking 

Dave

smForged 014.jpg

smForged 013.jpg

smForged 015.jpg

Your leaves are really looking good. What are the S hooks going to be used for? A nice finial scroll will make them look more finished.

Not easy to get split crosses to open evenly is it? I like a more weathered wood grain texture on them better but that's me. 

Criticism eh. . . Hmmm. . . . Let's see . . . Alright. Next time how about taking the pics on a fresh mown lawn, the dirt and dead stuff looks so . . . <_<

Okay?

Frosty The Lucky.

13 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Your leaves are really looking good. What are the S hooks going to be used for? A nice finial scroll will make them look more finished.

Not easy to get split crosses to open evenly is it? I like a more weathered wood grain texture on them better but that's me. 

Criticism eh. . . Hmmm. . . . Let's see . . . Alright. Next time how about taking the pics on a fresh mown lawn, the dirt and dead stuff looks so . . . <_<

Okay?

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks, I love making the leaves, they are quick and fun and no there is no real right or wrong way they should look so less pressure to get them 'perfect'. The hooks are just practice pieces really, I have to go Google 'finial scroll' before I reply to that one :lol: The hardest thing I found with the crosses was cutting the darn slots in the first place, they were all done by hand with a hacksaw. Yeah I hear what you say about the dead stuff but this IS the Sacramento valley in summer, (green) freshly mown lawns are a distant memory :D

5 minutes ago, EnglishDave said:

Thanks, I love making the leaves, they are quick and fun and no there is no real right or wrong way they should look so less pressure to get them 'perfect'. The hooks are just practice pieces really, I have to go Google 'finial scroll' before I reply to that one :lol: The hardest thing I found with the crosses was cutting the darn slots in the first place, they were all done by hand with a hacksaw. Yeah I hear what you say about the dead stuff but this IS the Sacramento valley in summer, (green) freshly mown lawns are a distant memory :D

Take up golf? Cruise the better neighborhoods? Dichondra will look well as a back ground. 

I found making a mark for each cut before cutting really helped. Getting the vise at the correct height REALLY helps with straight cuts, it's as important as anvil height. IIRC you want the top of the vise jaws about elbow height with your forearms held level in front of you. This makes straight level strokes the most intuitively ergonomic. 

And for your final splitting the stock with a hack saw trick. (drum roll please. . . :)) Put the piece in the vise with the mark even with the jaws and STOP just before you start sawing the jaws off your vise. Ta DAAAAAA!! Metal shop 101 hand tool lesson, day one book work.

The correct vise height is also how good filing is done and made to look easy. 

Your homework for tonight is to find out what a finial scroll is and write a 2 page report. 

Frosty The Lucky.

12 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Your homework for tonight is to find out what a finial scroll is and write a 2 page report. 

My initial research indicates it is basically Latin for 'attractive fiddly round bit on the end'

2 pages sounds far too much for a Saturday night when there is curry to be eaten and beer to be drunk...

9 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Ahh working on your gas forge?

Yes, relined it with some new Kaowool and it is working great. Basic design but plenty hot enough to keep me entertained for now.

11 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Ahh working on your gas forge?

Or was that a reference to the methane generating properties of the aforementioned comestibles which my dull old brain only just got? :lol:

1 minute ago, ThomasPowers said:

Methane,  of course a heaping helping of refried beans with that curry can help with the volume too.

I do like a refried bean but the last time I ate too many and almost ruptured something internally. My English digestive system is designed to cope with curry so I should stick with that I think

I'll accept attractive fiddly bit on ends. It's going to take the rest of the pages to explain why they should be round.

If you drink the bock in the bottom of a bottle of home brew beer it'll get the flammable exhaust gasses going. Curry for flavor and beans for yeast food. Now we're talking fire hazard around the camp fire!

Frosty The Lucky.

6 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Would you suggest ITC 100 or satinate instead?

I suppose that would depends on what kind of burner you're planning. A friend once was challenged to eat a bhut jolokia pepper- for That  burner and similar, I'd recommend lining it with pepto bismol! 

On May 27, 2017 at 8:11 PM, EnglishDave said:

Still a complete beginner at this but wanted to share a couple of pics of the output so far. Criticism will be taken with a smile, I have only been at this for a week 'for real' so no great expectations at this stage.

Looking nice. I personally like the leaf. The details are so precise. 

Thumbs up for this :)

14 hours ago, Colopast said:

Looking nice. I personally like the leaf. The details are so precise. 

Thumbs up for this :)

Thanks, everyone seems to like the leaves the best. All hammer work apart from the longitudinal crease which is done with a small cold chisel.

I made a couple of very small split crosses and was amazed by how fast they cool down, same goes for the very small leaves, they heat up and cool down so fast I think they are harder to make than the medium sized stuff. The crosses are also hard to work on without breaking the little linkage around the central orifice. Look nice when they turn out though :)

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Are you preheating your anvil and tools?  Helps a bit in my experience; not as much as working *fast* but some...

Not specifically apart from maybe working some larger items first which does of course put some heat into them both. In fact the first couple of times I used the anvil I was quite amazed as to how warm it was after a couple of hours of use.