I Forge Iron

another choice Anvil for sale

On 2017-05-27 at 1:42 AM, ThomasPowers said:

(It amuses me to see how many "priceless antiques" are actually the cheapest grade of stuff offered in the 1908 Sears Roebuck catalog and sold by the thousands in the day...)

That is why they are rare. All scrapped the first few years. Yupp! priceless = free.  :unsure:

21 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Shows a bridge anvil in use during dressing a cable tool drill but by hand---very nice striking with sledgehammers at full extension!

You'd think that just maybe they could find a better way to rotate that drill. :huh:

TRADITION!    I remember there was a strong push back on using a mechanized system to make and break joints. The traditional way was to wrap a chain around the pipe and then throw it and then use a winch to pull on it to rotate the pipe the screw/unscrew them.  Hideously dangerous in many ways.  I saw a chain snap once and would have probably killed the guy it hit save it was deep winter and he was wearing about 6" of heavily padded work clothes where it hit.

What's flaming gloves and smoke to drillers? Those two beat the snot out of that drill bit with sledge hammers when they had a purpose built power hammer within a few feet they had to use anyway. And you guys wonder why one DRILLER turned several hundred lbs of HOT steel with his hands instead of putting a short cheater pipe in the lock pin hole at the other end to turn it?

Wrenches? On a drill rig? Surely you guys are kidding. If they didn't have pipe wrenches and chain tongs then that stick or bit had flats at the joints for big open ends. 

Drillers frequently suffer the, "that's the way we've always done it," philosophy. End of story. The guys I learned from were doing some of the silliest things and tended to destroy equipment and put each other in the hospital pretty often. But then I have a negative attitude, they told me so. I am anything but surprised to see that driller turn that hot steel by hand. Heck his hands were probably so callused it was no big thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

I figured that they were doing a demo of how it used to be done out in the field where the powered equipment wasn't to hand.  I often demo medieval techniques when I have a full "modern" set up to hand...I liked the full swing sledge striking something not many folks do (and others try it and do damage!)