I Forge Iron

Anvil Identification

I picked up this anvil and trying to figure out the maker.  I think it may be a Hay Budden but not sure.  Here is what I know and can see.  The only marks are USA on the side and Z160 and A24594 on the foot by the horn.  28" long and 10" high.  I put it on the scale and weight was 150lbs.  Thoughts?

IMG_5564.JPG

IMG_5566.JPG

IMG_5567.JPG

IMG_5568.JPG

IMG_5570.JPG

Z160 would be the original weight, 160 lbs. Apparently it lost 10 lb when the top plate parted ways.

A new top plate could be welded on, but it's not an easy task.  Some have been repaired by arc welding with hard face rod, but I haven't seen how that holds up.

That trenton is pretty useless for smithing as only the soft body material is left in the heavy working zones.  Still worth more than scrap price but not much more, probably about 1/8 as much as it would be worth with a good face on it.  As mentioned putting a good face on it would be a lot of work and generally cost more than buying an anvil in better shape. If you decide to try research the Robb Gunther method of anvil repair AND FOLLOW IT TO THE LETTER!

I believe this anvil would predate the time where they started to Arc weld the top and bottom pieces together and so would have been forge welded at the waist.  We already have a good indication that they were having issues forgewelding on that anvil as the face delaminated; so it's possible that the waist weld is failing as well and the bolts are to hold it together.

I would take it as a practice exercise and add a plate to it.

I would use the Gunther method to weld a new plate to it all around and as an experiment, plug weld the plate in two places or three in the centre.

Better than 50/50 chance of success. :)