I Forge Iron

Hello from Staten island

Hello all my name is Lennie i'm 23 years old and i've always loved blacksmithing. It all started when i was younger i  was watching a farrier shoe a horse in South Carolina with my dad, and was captivated by the smith at work. Now old enough and stable enough (financially:D) to start Smithing myself. I love the site there's so much information so thanks all for that. i'm just getting my shop set up in my yard. curious if there's any other smiths locally NYC is pretty big maybe i can pop in to someones shop maybe even get some ideas and tips from a more seasoned smith once again thanks again 

Welcome aboard Lennie, glad to have you. I don't know how many are living on your island but there are a few anyway. Iforge has a lot of NY and NYC blacksmiths in the gang and the smithing organization that claims your neighborhood as territory is listed in the regional organizations section on the Iforge opening page, scroll down it's there. Honest. :)

I was hooked when I was little myself, it's a common age for infection but it can happen anytime. 

What do you have in mind to make as a "sort of" goal?  

Frosty The Lucky.

On May 20, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Frosty said:

I don't know how many are living on your island but there are a few anyway. Iforge has a lot of NY and NYC blacksmiths in the gang and the smithing organization that claims your neighborhood as territory is listed in the regional organizations section on the Iforge opening page, scroll down it's there. Honest. :)

Thanks for that i didnt even think to search since its such a small island and For now my goal is to master the basic stuff. i really love middle eastern and scottish influenced stuff so in that direction once im good enough.  

On May 20, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Tubalcain2 said:

Way back when, my family own a ferry service to Staten island. never been myself, though.

That's awesome you should take a trip its a pleasant little island lol 

On 5/22/2017 at 11:02 AM, ThomasPowers said:

You know our members in Iceland, Hawaii ot Norfolk Island are probably envious at how close you are to so much smithing stuff and you have bridges linking you to "the mainland"!  Yet they manage to smith.

yea a little digging around and a few more weeks and i should be done i could only imagine if i was in a more rural area or say more distant lol 

Just remember that there were far more anvil in cities than in the country! Yes per square mile *lots* more.  Shoot HB's were made in Brooklyn; how many folks who worked there had one at home?   Finding them is the problem and hence the TPAAAT method.

(every factory in the old days had a forge as part of the maintenance department and depending on the type of factory may had a large forging set up. I know of a glass factory that had a large powerhammer and my great uncles in law worked in a sugar refinery in Kansas City area that still used their smithing equipment.  Every train repair place and even old auto repair places had smithing set ups, I picked up an anvil from an old plumbing and HVAC place once in the city! *Hospitals* had anvils---I've talked to an orthopedic smith who worked at one in Columbus Ohio during WWII last I heard his anvil was still down in the sub basements according to a Janitor I asked.  I moved before I was able to try to get it...)

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Just remember that there were far more anvil in cities than in the country! Yes per square mile *lots* more.  Shoot HB's were made in Brooklyn; how many folks who worked there had one at home?   Finding them is the problem and hence the TPAAAT method.

(every factory in the old days had a forge as part of the maintenance department and depending on the type of factory may had a large forging set up. I know of a glass factory that had a large powerhammer and my great uncles in law worked in a sugar refinery in Kansas City area that still used their smithing equipment.  Every train repair place and even old auto repair places had smithing set ups, I picked up an anvil from an old plumbing and HVAC place once in the city! *Hospitals* had anvils---I've talked to an orthopedic smith who worked at one in Columbus Ohio during WWII last I heard his anvil was still down in the sub basements according to a Janitor I asked.  I moved before I was able to try to get it...)

TPAAAT i read the sticky such a good idea lol and i didnt even know anything about the whole factory thing. Theo invited me to his shop since hes literally 20 mins from me im gonna pick his brain and see what he knows and start there. as an update for now until i find a replacement a  11" piece of rr track will do fine :) thanks again everyone for the help