I Forge Iron

Improvisation

Gentlemen, 

I have used a Metters No 2 type sheetmetal installation as a hood for my buffalo forge. It is placed longitiudinally, I may have to cut out the end to the right hand side. Here it is.

P1020662.thumb.JPG.b59faa85362e582490687d12df9ee1cd.JPG

chimneys draw because they are filled with hotter gasses than the ambient air. As that is set up you look to be drawing in ambient air along the entire front ands then a bit of hotter gasses from the forge. It would draw much better if you had a front piece so that it's only getting the exhaust gasses and a little ambient air.  Making a removable one would allow the rare case when you needed a large access to the forge and were willing to trade smoke in the shop for it---like a large scroll where you need to heat just one bit on the outer side evenly and so want to place it with the plain of the scroll vertical.

Thomas, thanks for the interest, I had thought to add some sheet to the front,  cut a hole in the back and remove some of the right hand side to allow larger work in.  Guess a little experimentation to get the best result. I should have said this thing sat on the outside of a kitchen wall and contained a Metters No2 wood stove. I have this morning added the extra sheet down the front of the hood, 16 inches clearance. I won't worry about the other mods mentioned till I need to put a large piece in there. 

P1020667.JPG

Mate, I bent a 4 inch flap at 90" at the top to close that area off.  I fired it up yesterday and did a couple of small jobs, it draws beautifully just a little occasional smoke from some minor gaps that mastic will sort out.