I Forge Iron

compressor help....rebuild or buy new?

my air compressor is running on it's last leg.....45 minutes to fill the 80 gallon tank to 150 PSI. 

So the compressor pump is a LeROI Dresser 440A, 7.5 HP. I found a complete rebuild kit from "factory air compressor parts." Price is $425 + shipping

I'm also looking at options for replacing the entire pump. It seems the selection is varied. 

Wholesale tool carries a 7.5 HP, 3 cycle, 2 stage pump which is advertised as a 24 CFM unit, for $689 plus freight. Brand is RDX superior import. 

Ebay sells a Schulz air, 7.5 HP, 2 cycle, 2 stage pump which is advertised as 30 CFM unit for $782.00 including shipping. 

Northern sells an Ingersol Rand, 7.5 HP, 2 cycle, 2 stage pump which is advertised as a 24 CFM unit for $1399 including shipping. 

I can get a new comparable unit for about $1500 - $2000.....plug-n-play. 

Thoughts about these brands and the price comparisons would be appreciated. 

Thanks,
Dave 

Not sure how you usually use your compressor--light or heavy.  Just wanted to mention (as much as I hate the idea myself) that I have one friend in a commercial fairly light use setting who simply uses the cheap ($ 169) harbor freight compressor pump replacement on his application.  They last him several years and he's poor at keeping up on oil.  They're rated for 5 HP and only 145 psi but several people say they pump up to the roughly 175 on their compressors just fine.  Friend has a CNC shop with multiple machines and the compressor is for the machine spindles as well as blowing chips intermittently.  Nothing that sucks a ton of air like sandblasting.

Not saying it's the way to go but it's a cheap potential option that might buy you time to search for a good used replacement and save a few bucks.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Olson said:

I agree with scrambler. Rebuild. Those other compressors you list sound good but there to cheap for the cfm listed. And what is a 3 cycle compressor. Ive never heard of that. 

2 & 3  Phase maybe? I could follow a 2 cycle if it's another term for 2 stage or oh heck we could could just try Googling it.

Frosty The Lucky.

20 minutes ago, Kevin Olson said:

I agree with scrambler. Rebuild. Those other compressors you list sound good but there to cheap for the cfm listed. And what is a 3 cycle compressor. Ive never heard of that. 

it has three cylinders...not sure if I am using the correct terminology. 

I agree with Kevin and Scrambler if you can afford the down time for a repair.  There are several guys around here who do traveling air comp. repair service, should be some down your way as well.  Slow pressure build sounds like valves or rings, replaceable parts in most major brands.

Interesting thoughts here! 

I do not have a secondary air source, but I have just finished a hydraulic press so I can make my press do most of what my air hammer does during the down-time for a repair. 

If I go that route, I'm almost more inclined to by a new pump and the repair kit so I can get back running faster and later on assemble a second compressor. Now there is a thought! 

Heavy duty/industrial use over here seems to be done by either screw compresses or vane...20 years ago I bought a second hand 10hp Hydrovane which has been brilliant for the shot blaster. Continuous blasting instead of do a bit, wait a lot, do a  bit...when using the 5hp piston compressor...and that was with the efficiency of a pressure pot.

I feed the Hydrovane into the tank that the old piston compressor charged, and have really come round to the fact that I will never get around to rebuilding the old pump.

Rotary screw or vane pumps are much quieter than the piston compressors if you share a space with the beast.

I did also buy a 3hp piston unit for general workshop use like die grinders and paint spraying...

Alan

In the past I have observed that a Hydrovane compressor is very good at or near its rated output and they do very big hours between rebuilds 25000 Hrs plus. They must be kept cool or they cook the oil and quickly wear out. If they are not used at close to their rated output they are very good at using lots of power to make heat as the way they are choked by their throttling control and their efficentcy drops. A piston compressor is not as efficent as a correctly used screw or vane but is often cheaper to buy I have a very old but good 2 cyl Broom wade 50Cu/ft piston comp and it works just fine for what I do Cheers Beaver